Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
Hi,
I searched a lot and can't seem to find an answer to my question. I have a new 1TB Time Capsule. Does it have it's own sleep mode? Having all my computers completely off (not sleep mode), does the TC still run it's disks? There seems to always be a slight vibration when I put my hand on the case and it is always a little warm. I want to go away for a couple of days and would like to know if it will power down at least the HD by itself, or do I need to actually unplug it to turn it off. All my searches seem to only show answers about a computer going into sleep mode and WIFI troubles connecting after waking.
Thanks...

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
London
The Time Capsule doesn't turn off automatically - it always broadcasts its wireless signal, unless powered off.

When none of your Mac's are backing up via Time Machine, it will put the hard drive to sleep, which means it isn't constantly spinning. You'll be able to hear a difference when the drive is and isn't spinning.

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I figured the wireless was always on but I wasn't so sure about the drive. I will initiate a manual backup tonight and look for the difference. Can't say that I have seen it stop and start after the first big backup and subsequent smaller ones yet but it's new to me still. Logically, I figured they couldn't let it always spin.

It's a little strange that the only way to actually shut the thing off is by the power cord. Kind of crude. Have you heard of anyone having problems doing this? Assuming the drive wasn't being accessed at the time of course.

Plugging it back in could possibly give a power surge through the rectifier/DC power supply I would think.
Thanks again...

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
That's what the power brick is for. :p It would be best to unplug while the disk is not spinning, but I've have to unplug HDDs from their external power source all of the time. They usually spin down slowly rather than abruptly stop. So far I haven't had one die on me yet.

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
That's what the power brick is for. :p It would be best to unplug while the disk is not spinning, but I've have to unplug HDDs from their external power source all of the time. They usually spin down slowly rather than abruptly stop. So far I haven't had one die on me yet.

Yup, I know what you mean. Power interruptions are fairly frequent here. It's been awhile since I had to dissect a drive, do the drives still park the heads? That would be the only thing I would really worry about, with the exception of loosing data if it was writing at the time of power loss.

ttime32

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2009
Time Capsule doesn't power up - we blew a fuse in the house

I am relatively new to Mac and am not a high tech guy (so if you reply, please respond in terms that a kid could understand - thanks!). Have been using a Time Capsule for the last couple of months to back up files. We blew a fuse in the house and now the Time Capsule doesn't want to power up. Suggestions?

Obviously, I'd realllly like to recover the data. Do you think it's possible or am I toast?

Thanks!

exegeteguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
iMac won't sleep - could it be my Time Capsule?

Hi all,
I have a late 2007 Intel 20" iMac, Core2 Duo, 320 gb hdd, 4g ram, running Snow Leopard (fully up to date) connected to a 1T Time Capsule via network cable. It seems that since I first set it up, my iMac REFUSES to sleep on its own... regardless of what energy setting are set to, or disk permissions being checked and repaired. I have Coctail and TechTool Pro 5 and neither help... The ONLY way my iMac will sleep is if I manually tell it to. Is there any chance its the time capsule? I'm somewhat capable on my Mac, but frankly I can't figure why the iMac won't obey the sleep settings. If not the Time Capsule, how do I use Activity monitor or some other means to track down the cause? I have a 500 gb external drive that I have off/disconnected while not in use, a USB hub, which I have disconnected and restarted the iMac to see if that is the cause... I'm baffled and irritated... I don't want my hd to die before its time! CAN ANYONE HELP?!?!

deering

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Time Capsule Sleep Mode & NAS Use

I was researching NAS options to replace my Buffalo Link Station (before it dies) and realized that the Time Capsule that I use for backups was exactlly what I need - but it goes to sleep after maybe 5 minutes, so working on CAD files and saving my work frequently requires waiting till the disk spins up every time.

Is there a way to set the sleep delay to an hour or more? I'm fine with it sleeping, but not while I am working and saving frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.