Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prettyvisitor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Just got a mac and I've got loads of music, of which much is wma format - which of course doesn't play in itunes. I downloaded realplayer and vlc but I can't keep a library in them and I'm not too keen on converting all of it. Looking for player that will play most formats, (or at least wma and mp3) but will also keep a library...

Cheers!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Depending on the size of your library, you'll probably be better off to bite the bullet and convert to a more universal format and use iTunes.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would suggest using a conversion utility like "EasyWMA" to convert them all to mp3 format.

I've used it a few times and it does the job.

EasyWMA _may_ do "batch conversions" as well to convert entire groups of files, but never tried to do that here.

There are a few other conversion utilities out there, as well.

The Mac and wma files just don't play well together. Best route is to convert and use with something like iTunes...

- John

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Does Media Monkey support wma? I'd imagine it does. That's a good little library manager. Supports and syncs to lots of players too.

prettyvisitor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Thanks for all the responses.
I'm actually still stuck, mediamonkey seems good but there's no version for mac, while doubletwist won't work for me, I have no idea why. I install it, but it won't start for me.
As for converting, easyWMA will probably be my last resort as I'd rather go free. Most are paying though. One that looked promising was switch, it's free, but again, didn't work for me. If anyone knows of any other free converters or any more ideas on a player it would be much appreciated!
Cheers

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Thanks for all the responses.
I'm actually still stuck, mediamonkey seems good but there's no version for mac, while doubletwist won't work for me, I have no idea why. I install it, but it won't start for me.
As for converting, easyWMA will probably be my last resort as I'd rather go free. Most are paying though. One that looked promising was switch, it's free, but again, didn't work for me. If anyone knows of any other free converters or any more ideas on a player it would be much appreciated!
Cheers

why don't u just just try re-ripping? that may sound tedious but this way, u will save ur self time spent hunting for that perfect software.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
So far the best media player software I have used on OSX is Songbird. Its loading is a bit slow but it can play almost any audio file out there and the interface is fairly customizable/skinnable.

prettyvisitor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Ah yes! Thanks very much. Songbird is exactly what I wanted - it's excellent!
Cheers for the post and thanks to everyone else who responded as well

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Unless you have pirated all that WMA music (I find that hard to believe because well no one uses WMA) you should probably re-rip the CD's to MP3 or AAC. You lose quality when you convert from one lossy format to another lossy format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.