Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Jul 24, 2002, 09:34 PM   #1
iWant
macrumors newbie

widescreen games for new 17 incher?

Hey, everybody! I'm really interested in purchasing a 17" iMac and I was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the major games that take advantage of the wide ratio of the monitor. Of course, I'll be using it for productive stuff like FCP3 and all, but It'd be nice to show off a full-screen game on a widescreen monitor to windows users. Thanks!
iWant is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2002, 11:05 PM   #2
dynamicd
macrumors 6502

My advice would be to get a first person shooter since those are usually the games that have the highest requirements and after having visited my local apple store and seeing the 17" i would definitely like to play quake or return to castle wolfenstein on it.
dynamicd is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2002, 11:06 AM   #3
iPat
macrumors member

My question is how well do you think 3-D games will play on the new 17" iMac? I know that they upgraded the GPU but they also increased the screen resolution as well; how much of an increase in speed is this over the GeForce 2MX? I guess the easiest way to get a feel for performace would be with a 800 MHz PowerMac with the GeForce 4MX (since the new iMacs haven't shipped yet). Could someone who owns a PM 800 MHz with the GeForce4 MX card tell me how well it plays games like Quake III or UT? I know that it not an exact comparison, but close enough. I'm not a huge gamer but I do enjoy the occational game. I was in an Apple store checking out the new 17" iMac and when I messed around with the silly game that comes with it (don't remember the name?), game play was rather choppy! Not a huge deal as I could always keep my PC hidden under the desk for games, but it would be nice if I could just cut free from it all together.

Also, does anyone know of any sites where there is a good "Gamers" review of the PM with the GeForce4 Ti card?
iPat is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2002, 04:44 PM   #4
job
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally posted by iPat
Could someone who owns a PM 800 MHz with the GeForce4 MX card tell me how well it plays games like Quake III or UT?
Very very well.

I don't own one, but I have played a guy over a LAN that does own one and he was getting insane FPS at all high quality settings.

However if you want the ultimate performace, grab a Ti card or wait for the Radeon 9700.
job is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2002, 05:03 PM   #5
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Just don't expect to play next gen games w/high settings on an iMac. QIII and UT are almost 3 year old games so any current GFX card should be able run those games w/o a problem. But Doom3, or any other FPS based on a next gen gfx engine, will cripple the 4mx.

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games