Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:03 PM   #1
dougb256
macrumors member

Firefox = spinning beachball, Safari working fine

I don't know what my wife did to her 13" white MacBook, but Firefox is slow as molasses. Safari is working perfectly, but all of her bookmarks are in Firefox.

I made sure she was on the correct network, than added opendns settings to DNS. I downloaded and installed the most recent Firefox and repaired permissions on the drive. I rebooted - same problem. Random beachballs causing the app to be useless.

Safari works perfectly, so it's not an Internet issue. I haven't tried other apps to be sure but right now it seems confined to Firefox.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug
dougb256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:06 PM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Did she install a new plugin or something? Weird. If you drag the application icon to the Trash and reinstall it the bookmarks shouldn't be deleted; might be worth a shot.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 06:24 PM   #3
dougb256
macrumors member

Gave it a shot - no go So she is using Safari now, but I sure would like to fix her Firefox problem.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Safari rules!

Just import her bookmarks from Firefox. In Safari, click File > Import Bookmarks. You'll have to ask around to find out where Firefox stores bookmarks and how to navigate to that folder/file.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:33 PM   #5
mac2x
macrumors 65816

Safari can't understand Firefox's bookmarks format. In Firefox, choose Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Export HTML. Save that file in a convenient place, like the desktop.

Then, point Safari to that HTML file via File > Import Bookmarks.

That's how I sync up my bookmarks between the two when they get out of whack.

Gaming Rig | Core i7-2600K | 16 GB RAM | 160 GB OCZ Agility 2 | EVGA GTX 770 SC | Windows 7 Pro x64 | ASUS VG248QE
mac2x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:55 PM   #6
ruinfx
macrumors 6502a

or you can just use xmarks to keep your bookmarks synced
Old Nov 30, 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
dougb256
macrumors member

Thanks for the ideas regarding the bookmarks, but she'd really like to have Firefox back. Anybody else?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 08:35 AM   #8
miles01110
macrumors 604

What operating system is she running?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:24 AM   #9
linuxidiot
macrumors member

Is she using the new beta? Ever since a beta update rolled out Firefox keeps crashing on me at random times. At one point came back to my Mini and firefox was using 99% CPU just sitting on a page... I'd suggest looking at Firefox's bugtracking system and see if others are reporting an issue (assuming your wife is using a beta version)
linuxidiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:30 AM   #10
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Two things to try:

1. Run Firefox in Safe Mode.
2. Move your Firefox profile elsewhere while Firefox is not running, and restart Firefox. (You'll revert to defaults if you do this, so try it only if the first method doesn't solve your problem.)

If either of these works, try disabling add-ons until you find the culprit.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:31 AM   #11
maccompaq
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb256 View Post
Gave it a shot - no go So she is using Safari now, but I sure would like to fix her Firefox problem.
I had a problem such as yours. My solution was to download Google Chrome. It had all my Firefox bookmarks in it automatically. I deleted Firefox and downloaded the latest version, and I was in business with my bookmarks intact.
maccompaq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 09:38 AM   #12
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccompaq View Post
I had a problem such as yours. My solution was to download Google Chrome. It had all my Firefox bookmarks in it automatically. I deleted Firefox and downloaded the latest version, and I was in business with my bookmarks intact.
This isn't even a solution as far as the OP is concerned. He already stated he (his wife) wants to stick with Firefox. Not switch to a beta browser like Chrome or an inferior browser like Safari.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:44 AM   #13
maccompaq
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
This isn't even a solution as far as the OP is concerned. He already stated he (his wife) wants to stick with Firefox. Not switch to a beta browser like Chrome or an inferior browser like Safari.
Read my post slowly, and you will see that I went back to using the newest version of Firefox after downloading Chrome.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:56 AM   #14
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccompaq View Post
Read my post slowly, and you will see that I went back to using the newest version of Firefox after downloading Chrome.
Yes, but Chrome isn't yet available in a production form on the Mac yet. I would not recommend this "solution" to anyone until Chrome is stable on Mac OS X.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:26 PM   #15
maccompaq
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
Yes, but Chrome isn't yet available in a production form on the Mac yet. I would not recommend this "solution" to anyone until Chrome is stable on Mac OS X.
The only reason I went with Chrome was to capture my bookmarks. When I was sure all my bookmarks were secure in Chrome, I deleted Firefox to get rid of a problem. Then I downloaded the newest version of Firefox and was relieved to see that my bookmarks were in the new Firefox browser, which I am now using.

However, I do have my bookmarks also saved in del.icio.us as a backup.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:59 PM   #16
dougb256
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxidiot View Post
Is she using the new beta?
No, just the latest regular release.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 01:51 PM   #17
JuanGuapo
macrumors 6502

Clear the Cache, cookies, and turn off all plugins. See if that helps. If it does, turn on the plugins one by one until the offending Plugin (if any) is found.

I use FFX 3.3.5 and it works really well under Snow Leopard.
JuanGuapo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 02:30 PM   #18
mrdata
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb256 View Post
I don't know what my wife did to her 13" white MacBook, but Firefox is slow as molasses. Safari is working perfectly, but all of her bookmarks are in Firefox.

I made sure she was on the correct network, than added opendns settings to DNS. I downloaded and installed the most recent Firefox and repaired permissions on the drive. I rebooted - same problem. Random beachballs causing the app to be useless.

Safari works perfectly, so it's not an Internet issue. I haven't tried other apps to be sure but right now it seems confined to Firefox.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug
I just found this thread after my wife's PC also started with the same problem. Identical to your problem. Firefox simply wil not load and I always have to force a quit. It shows up in the program monitor as crashed app in red.

I have also tried to bin the app by dragging to the trash and downloading the latest version and re-installing but it just does the exact same. You cant go through the plugins to disable as the Firefox interface is crashed and unusable. This is a great pity as it is a great app. I use it all the time on Windows boxes as my browser of choice. With Windows i know that I am confident enough to know how to completely remove all traces of the app and to re-install but on a MacBook Pro using Tiger I am at a loss now. I just downloaded Opera and OmniWeb to see if the might be useful replacements. i will miss the plugins but Firefox is totally useless on this box now. Might as well remove it completely unless anyone has any other ideas?

btw, all other browsers and networking works fine and it is not a permissions issue as i have tried logging in with an admin account and it is just the same.
mrdata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 04:34 PM   #19
LinMac
macrumors 65816

These bugs can be a pain. I keep a copy of Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner for just such occasions.

Try the steps in this post to solve the problems with Firefox.

The cache cleaning will most likely be necessary. Deep cleaning of all of them might just do the trick.
LinMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 09:26 PM   #20
dougb256
macrumors member

We finally brought it up the Apple Store last night and had them run an overnight test on it - hard drive FAIL. They replaced the HDD and re-loaded all of her apps and data and now everything is working A-OK!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store