Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2009, 02:54 AM   #1
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Pages: How to Make ALL Periods in Document Bigger? :)

I'm writing an essay tonight, suppose to be like 7 pages. I'm at about 7 right now, however i've always been one to go...above and beyond.

I know how to do it in microsoft word, however would love to just do it in Pages.

I'd like to find all the "." in the document, which are sized 12 and secretly make them like size 15, or 17...whatever doesn't look too obvious.

In Microsoft word this usually adds me like an extra page, depending how much i've got written down...anyways,

help?
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:02 AM   #2
DKatri
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Maybe spend less time on MacRumors and more time writing your essay.
__________________
MBP, iPhone, iPad
DKatri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:45 AM   #3
HappyDude20
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKatri View Post
Maybe spend less time on MacRumors and more time writing your essay.
Of course I was typing the essay, I actually posted the thread mid-break during typing as to (hopefully) receive a response by the time I was done...
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:53 AM   #4
ergdegdeg
Moderator emeritus
 
ergdegdeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nebraska
You could create a new style (it is important to make this a character style, not paragraph style) which is the same as body text and just set the font size to something bigger. Than hit CMD + F and go to "Advanced". Insert:

Find: .
Replace: .
Style: your new style with bigger font size.

Replace All.

Last edited by ergdegdeg; Nov 30, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
ergdegdeg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
nastebu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
I'm writing an essay tonight, suppose to be like 7 pages. I'm at about 7 right now, however i've always been one to go...above and beyond.

I know how to do it in microsoft word, however would love to just do it in Pages.

I'd like to find all the "." in the document, which are sized 12 and secretly make them like size 15, or 17...whatever doesn't look too obvious.

In Microsoft word this usually adds me like an extra page, depending how much i've got written down...anyways,

help?
Here's some advice from a professor. Don't do this. It's obvious. It makes you look like a skunk.

Instead, go back to the *middle* of your essay and pick out an argument you make. Now add one or more pieces of evidence to back this argument up. Be as specific as possible.
nastebu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:18 PM   #6
kylos
macrumors 6502a
 
kylos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MI
With apologies to the professor, the period trick works mainly by increasing the line height rather than adding extra width to each line. In fact, if you don't have a period on each line (perhaps your writing skills have expanded beyond subject-verb-object sentences with the occasional article), you'll end up having different line heights in a paragraph. That, along with the larger periods will be a visual clue to the professor that something is not right. I'd recommend tweaking the line height for your documents. Bumping one or two lines off each page with this technique might get you an extra page without being too noticeable.
kylos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 04:32 PM   #7
HappyDude20
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastebu View Post
Here's some advice from a professor. Don't do this. It's obvious. It makes you look like a skunk.

Instead, go back to the *middle* of your essay and pick out an argument you make. Now add one or more pieces of evidence to back this argument up. Be as specific as possible.
I really don't think its noticeable. Especially being I don't exagerrate this. If my font size is 12, i won't go past....15. This usually gets me like half a page extra once having written 6 pages. Not too noticeable and looks like wrote just that bit extra.

I'd still like to do a comparison between before and after period font size changes...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've included a photo of where i'm stuck in pages; can't seem to figure out how to edit the font size..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-11-30 at 2.28.33 PM.png
Views:	606
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	205304  
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 04:00 AM   #8
nastebu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
I really don't think its noticeable. Especially being I don't exagerrate this. If my font size is 12, i won't go past....15. This usually gets me like half a page extra once having written 6 pages. Not too noticeable and looks like wrote just that bit extra.

I'd still like to do a comparison between before and after period font size changes...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've included a photo of where i'm stuck in pages; can't seem to figure out how to edit the font size..
Seriously, do you think professors grade by how long your paper looks? Maybe they grade by weight? Even if the professor doesn't notice the padding (and we use word processors too you know, so we know what padded text looks like) he or she is going to read the paper, and notice that your argument is skimpy.

News flash: we talk about this all the time. Sometimes we even show each other examples of the ridiculous lengths students go to pad their essays. We hold them up, mock them to each other, roll our eyes, and then give them average or worse grades, not just because of the subterfuge, but because an essay written with the objective of stretching an exhausted argument over the finish line is certainly going to be a piece of *****.

We know, believe it or not, because we're not actually brain-dead or so behind the times we don't know what a 12 point font with double-spaced lines looks like. You don't think it's noticeable, but how many pages of 12 point font with double-spaced lines have you looked at? I've looked at, literally, tens of thousands, in the course of my paper-grading, dissertation writing, article publishing, etc. WE KNOW YOUR'E DOING IT. If you don't get confronted, it's because the professor chose to quietly sneer at you and lose a little respect rather than bother mousing about such a stupid demeaning thing.


Instead of learning tricks, seriously, learn how to re-read, revise, and strengthen your argument--an actually useful real world skill.

More bad ideas for padding: adding another paragraph at the end, adding sentences to the end with big overarching themes like "in all human history..." "when mankind reaches for the stars..." etc.

Last edited by nastebu; Dec 1, 2009 at 04:21 AM.
nastebu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 04:17 AM   #9
HappyDude20
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastebu View Post
Seriously, do you think professors grade by how long your paper looks? Maybe they grade by weight? Even if the professor doesn't notice the padding (and we use word processors too you know, so we know what padded text looks like) he or she is going to read the paper, and notice that you're argument is skimpy.

News flash: we talk about this all the time. Sometimes we even show each other examples of the ridiculous lengths students go to pad their essays. We hold them up, mock them to each other, roll our eyes, and then give them average grades because it's so common it's not even worth confronting the student about it. We know, believe it or not, because we're not actually brain-dead or so behind the times we don't know what a 12 point font with double-spaced lines looks like. How many pages of 12 point font with double-spaced lines has the average student looked at? I've looked at, literally, tens of thousands, in the course of my paper-grading, dissertation writing, article publishing, etc. WE KNOW YOUR'E DOING IT. If you don't get confronted, it's because the professor chose to quietly sneer at you and lose a little respect rather than bother mousing about such a stupid demeaning thing.


Instead of learning tricks, seriously, learn how to re-read, revise, and strengthen your argument--an actually useful real world skill.

More bad ideas for padding: adding another paragraph at the end, adding sentences to the end with big overarching themes like "in all human history..." "when mankind reaches for the stars..." etc.
2 things:

I love in the end how you mention "mankind reaching for the stars..."
I was going over some old essays i'd written years ago and noticed stuff like that. It was great to see how I used to write and the progress my writing skills had achieved since.

Secondly, why do people assume my paper sucks?
I've always gotten A papers. If there's one thing i'm comfortable doing for a class its an essay. So much so that this semester i've put essays off till the last week they're due, knowing i'd crank a good one out. Admittedly the paper would be better if I had started weeks in advance allowing me to take it to a writing center and review, revise, redraft, revise, review, reprint, etc etc etc...But I honestly can't remember the last time i've gotten anything less than an "A" on an essay at University.

I originally asked for the period quick tip as a way to hit my 9 page barrier mark, just in case. For years now I always add 2 pages to whatever is requested from a student. My essay tomorrow is only 7, however 9 would be "A" material. Concerning the quick period tip, I was hoping to get me over the mark if I was at 8 pages and decided to throw in the towel and grab some sleep.
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 05:12 AM   #10
nastebu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
2 things:

I love in the end how you mention "mankind reaching for the stars..."
I was going over some old essays i'd written years ago and noticed stuff like that. It was great to see how I used to write and the progress my writing skills had achieved since.

Secondly, why do people assume my paper sucks?
I've always gotten A papers. If there's one thing i'm comfortable doing for a class its an essay. So much so that this semester i've put essays off till the last week they're due, knowing i'd crank a good one out. Admittedly the paper would be better if I had started weeks in advance allowing me to take it to a writing center and review, revise, redraft, revise, review, reprint, etc etc etc...But I honestly can't remember the last time i've gotten anything less than an "A" on an essay at University.

I originally asked for the period quick tip as a way to hit my 9 page barrier mark, just in case. For years now I always add 2 pages to whatever is requested from a student. My essay tomorrow is only 7, however 9 would be "A" material. Concerning the quick period tip, I was hoping to get me over the mark if I was at 8 pages and decided to throw in the towel and grab some sleep.
Then you don't need to resort to cheap tricks.

By the way, I didn't assume that your essays suck. But it's quite possible that were I grading your essay, and felt a little suspicious about your line spacing, I would hold it up to the light with a sheet I *knew* was double spaced, and then I *would* assume your essay sucked because I saw you trying to pad.

As for the word-processing question, why bother fiddling with the periods? All you really want to do is add a tiny bit more than double-spacing to the lines, so just go into the text inspector and set it to 2.1 or 2.2 instead of 2.
nastebu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 05:23 AM   #11
Psycdude
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Interesting trick, I'm glad all my students are required to submit their work to me digitally. I simply set a word requirement and look at the word counts. This also makes it much easier to catch things like plagiarism, it's amazing how many times I'll cut and paste sections (not cited) into google and get exact matches...
__________________
Aluminum Macbook, Iphone 4.0
Psycdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:18 AM   #12
kylos
macrumors 6502a
 
kylos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MI
HappyDude, ergdegdeg already answered your question. But, as I already pointed out, and as nastebu has echoed, changing your line spacing by 5 or 10% will be a much better solution than enlarging periods.

@ nastebu, since some people will always use these tricks perhaps occasionally encouraging this sort of behavior will bring a spot of brightness to your day as you catch yet another student playing games.
kylos is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pages-possible to make a iPad document that allows a signature on iPad? ibis ghost Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 May 1, 2014 11:58 PM
2010 Pages document won't open in current Pages ScottL Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Aug 10, 2013 10:31 AM
Import pages document in another pages document Jord5i Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Mar 20, 2013 09:14 AM
Pages, two sided document mac2thefuture Mac Basics and Help 5 Jan 20, 2013 02:11 PM
Printing a Pages Document on a PC Gala Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Aug 6, 2012 01:34 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC