Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armymom13M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
My son is getting ready to deploy and someone donated a ibook G4 A1055 - she said it needed to be upgraded - ???? - I took it to a Apple repair shop and they said it would not need to be upgraded and if I really needed to I would have to use Leopard - Again ??? but it really doesnt need it.

He will be using it as a means of communication with family and watching movies and internet.

Can someone help me and tell me what I need to do?

Also its missing the white box to the power supply - I was going to purchase one online and I dont know if I need the 45W or 65 W - Help again.
Thank you

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
could you go into some more detail?

the system should run leopard depending on how much Ram is inside it, to my knowledge the cpu is well up for the task,

for online comm's, what software are you using on it?
skype is free, and should be ok for VOIP provided the built in Mic is working ok,

video calling is out since the G4 didnt come with a webcam; are you using a webcam with it?

the power supply needs a 65W
what country are you in? they can be found pretty cheap for a new one, dont go to apple for one, they'll take you to the cleaners ;
iBook Power supply-

armymom13M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Well shoot I wish I could answer more but I have no idea what I would be looking for and the battery is dead and I dont have a power cord to plug in. LOL

Well if it doesnt come with a webcam I can get one for it. We are planning on using skype so thats good to know.

The place I went to wanted $80 for a power cord - I found them on ebay cheaper. I am in the US
Thank you for your help -

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.