Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edcrusher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Yes I am looking for an expert(like you) opinion. If possible, thx

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I doubt anyone here has tried with this SSD.

Therefore, the only real opinion available is from the review posted on Amazon. It gives all the information you need. Also, it's an Amazon verified buyer... so the person actually bought it... not made a false claim outta the blue.

I just replaced my original, constantly clicking, HDD drive with this Active Media Products 64GB 1.8-inch PATA ZIF SSD in my Macbook Air (1st generation) a few days ago and am happy with the results. Now I have a lithe, quiet-running, durable mobile laptop. The manufacturer claim 80MB/sec Read, 38MB/sec Write speeds for sequential memory access which is well above the benchmarks found in 3rd party tests on Apples original SSD drive of up to 49MB/sec Read and 9MB/sec Write speeds:
[...]
I am not able to verify the alleged improvement over the original SSD, however, I perceive an all around faster performance over my replaced HDD. Of course you will need to install the SSD drive yourself--a process that will take the patience and nerve of a brain surgeon, as the guts of the MBA are packed dainty and tight. See Fixit's "Macbook Air Hard Drive Replacement" instructions (hard to find but they are there). Also, note that as far as I know, this drive will only replace the drives in the first generation Macbook Air.

He/she stated:

1) He/She's happy with the purchase
2) It works on a Rev. A MacBook Air
3) Probably faster than the original SSD offered by Apple.

Runcore

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2009
That is built with the SMI controller a very solid controller. We at Runcore tested it when we where building our SSD it is very slow on random read and random write performance around 3-4MB/sec read and around .8MB/sec write and has no cashe so we decided against it. But that being said it will be a little bit faster than your HDD but not 5-10 times faster like the Runcore.

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.