Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I'm thinking about buying an alarm clock to use with my 1G iPod Touch, but there's one bit that's tripping me up. Through careful reading of features and reviews on a few different products, it seems that some are just iPod speakers that can also be set to make alarm noises independent of the iPod, where I'd like something that can play music from a playlist at a given time. Others say they will charge iPods, but from the reviews that feature doesn't work with the Touch.

Is there anything out there that will actually do it for me? Something less than $100 would be great too.

I can't think that this would be an uncommon request, but there are a few threads on this board along similar lines with no responses. Thanks in advance the help, anyway.

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009
Most of the ones I have seen basically just hit play on the iPod at a specific time. Whatever you had playing before will play when the alarm goes off. Apple disabled the FireWire charging pins starting with the 2G Touch, which is probably why charging doesn't work for people. Your 1G Touch will probably charge.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Most of the ones I have seen basically just hit play on the iPod at a specific time. Whatever you had playing before will play when the alarm goes off.

That's fine. I just don't want to end up with an alarm where my only options are FM radio and blaring heinous alarm noise. The problem is telling the difference, since they don't seem to be marketed any differently. I imagine the ones in my price range are mostly the latter kind.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I use Awaken. Allows me to set many alarms, choose customs sounds, or music from my iTunes library. Can enable forcing the phone/iPod to stay on at all times while in the app. Doesn't yet sync with the Mac application, but that's pretty much the only drawback (obviously, you need to have the app open for it to work).

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Just by way of a follow-up, I ended up getting an iTrip and using it with Awaken and my existing alarm clock. Aside from having to set the clock manually, it works remarkably well.

Thanks for the responses, folks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.