Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Apple says that with the new 4G iPod that the user is able to make multiple "On the Go" playlists... How the crap do I do this? I see no option to make a new playlist, delete current songs, etc... I can also not find any documentation for it.

Thanks!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Read pages 18 and 19 of your manual carefully!

Once you have created an on-the-go playlist you can save it by going Music->Playlists->On-The-Go->Save Playlist->Save PLaylist. I imagine that once you've done that another will be created next time you add a song to an On-The-Go playlist. I realise that this means you can only add songs to the current OTG playlist.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mnkeybsness said:
pages 18 and 19 are all about connecting and disconnecting the ipod from the computer... and where do i get the "save playlist function?"

Go to http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/ and download the iPod User's Guide if it differs from yours (??). It's there on pages 18-19. To make it easier, I've cut-and-pasted in somewhat sloppy fashion:

Making Playlists on iPod

You can set iPod to play the songs you want in the order you want. When you create a list of songs on your iPod, the songs appear in an On-The-Go playlist.

To create an On-The-Go playlist:

1 Highlight a song and press and hold the Select button until the song title flashes.
2 Repeat step 1 for other songs you want to add.
3 Select Music > Playlists > On-The-Go to view your list of songs.

You can also queue entire lists of songs at once. For example, to queue an album, highlight the album title and press and hold the Select button until the album title flashes.

To play songs in the On-The-Go playlist:
  • Select Music > Playlists > On-The-Go and select a song.

To remove a song from the On-The-Go playlist:
  • Highlight a song in the playlist, and hold down the Select button until the song title flashes.

To clear the entire On-The-Go playlist:
  • Select Music > Playlists > On-The-Go > Clear Playlist.

To save On-The-Go playlists on your iPod:
  • Select Music > Playlists > On-The-Go > Save Playlist > Save Playlist. The first playlist is saved as “New Playlist 1” in the Playlists menu. The On-The-Go playlist is cleared. You can save as many On-The-Go playlists as you like.

To transfer On-The-Go playlists to your computer:
  • If iPod is set to transfer songs automatically (see page 28), and you create an On-The-Go playlist, the playlist automatically transfers to iTunes when you connect iPod. You see the new On-The-Go playlist in the iTunes Source list.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
yeah i totally don't have those pages in my user guide... thanks guys...

i didn't realize that the functions were way the hell at the bottom of the song list... that's pretty annoying--they should be at the top!

speaking of which, my room mate's 2G scrolls a lot faster when he continually tracks around the wheel... is mine supposed to? it takes forever and is almost impossible to scroll through my songs list (7000 some)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.