Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
I have 5 computers authorized to play my music...and I want to play it on another computer (i.e. #6). I don't have access right now to the other computers...and apparently there's nothing I can do.

Or am I wrong?

As far as I know, there is no way to de-authorize all computers from my iTunes account. THERE SHOULD BE! Why can't I have control over the computers that are authorized to play my music via my iTunes music store account?

C'mon apple!!!!

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
you do

I don't know if you can do it though iTunes or something, but if you need to deauthorize them, call Apple up on the phone, and give them your information and have them deauthorize all the computers.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
when i recently reinstalled panther itunes said that i had music that needed to be authorized, so i reauthorized this computer...does that mean that now i have 2 computers authorized or still just one?

how can you find out how many computers you have authorized?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
howard said:
when i recently reinstalled panther itunes said that i had music that needed to be authorized, so i reauthorized this computer...does that mean that now i have 2 computers authorized or still just one?

Two i think :(

Once a computer has been reformatted or whatever, I think it's kind of authorized forever...

I agree, by the way, there should be a way to deauthorize all computers remotely.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
hmm, that kinda sucks

itunes should have an instore way to do all this authrize-deauthorize crap, looks like if i add a few more computers i'll have send in that form or call them

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
howard said:

I have re-installed my operating system a couple of times and my dad has done the same. There are 5 different computers that are authorized to listen to music I download(mine, dads, sisters, moms, grandmothers). I have never had a problem when I re-installed so I don't think it affects your total, each computer has it's own identification built into it that can't be changed it seems.

You can deauthorize a computer through itunes if you need to ( say you are selling it). In iTunes,under the advanced menu, there is an option to deauthorize computer.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
iJon said:
that still doesn't help. I am going to have to call apple back up to deauthorize my computers again. my pc recently crashed and its authorized forever. I replaced my G5 and now that one is forever authorized. its stupid how apple does it and they shoud allow yo uto deauthorize everything at once and start over.

iJon
Uh that page has a link to the iTunes Support webpage where you can email Apple if you want to deauthorize computers....:\

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
howard said:
In itunes click on Music Store. Then click on your account name. Enter your password. You will then be taken to your apple account information where you can see how many machines are authorized.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Doesn't the authorisation process check the serial number of the computer? I think it would make sense to say 'OK, the computer that's being authorised has the same serial number as one that's already authorised, so I won't decrease the number of computers left.'

However, to be on the safe side, I manually deauthorised my computer before reinstalling OS X.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Nermal said:
Doesn't the authorisation process check the serial number of the computer? I think it would make sense to say 'OK, the computer that's being authorised has the same serial number as one that's already authorised, so I won't decrease the number of computers left.'

However, to be on the safe side, I manually deauthorised my computer before reinstalling OS X.
what serial number would you use? keep in mind windows users and stuff like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.