Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 2, 2009, 03:05 AM   #1
mtbdudex
macrumors 65816
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Full moon fever!!/Lunar "X"/General moon shots

Instead of cluttering the "shot of the day" with moon shots, here is a "Full moon" thread.


My full moon 12-2 shot from SE Mich (2:31am full moon time, this is 3:19am shot)


vs 11-29


Crop with minor PP done.

Basic Q, because of brightness of full moon, and my limited 55-250mm kit (@250) softness, I lose detail of full moon vs almost full moon?

I'll try some shots @ 225 and 200mm, just to see if less zoom is clearer on my kit lens.
__________________
Mike R, P.E. ;iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, TV(160)
Canon: 70D+lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II/TC 1.4x 2x/15-85/f1.4 50;580EX II,FEISOL tripod CT-3441S
DIY acoustic panels. . .HT Project

Last edited by mtbdudex; Mar 6, 2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: expand thread to general moon shots
mtbdudex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 08:19 AM   #2
kreuzberg
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Wow those are fantastic!
__________________
Flickr
kreuzberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 03:44 AM   #3
mtbdudex
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Of course, I took the boys on my moon quest also...
By their school, looks so washed out there, hard to expose them and the moon.(clickable)
Thumb resize.

now rising over their school (clickable)
Thumb resize.

and the reason I was 15 minutes late picking them up.....I was shooting at the middle school just down the road....(clickable)
Thumb resize.
__________________
Mike R, P.E. ;iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, TV(160)
Canon: 70D+lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II/TC 1.4x 2x/15-85/f1.4 50;580EX II,FEISOL tripod CT-3441S
DIY acoustic panels. . .HT Project

Last edited by mtbdudex; Jan 2, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
mtbdudex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 02:17 PM   #4
kallisti
macrumors 6502a
 
kallisti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
__________________
To the prettiest one.
kallisti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 02:26 PM   #5
davidee
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
very very nice

Here is one of mine

I took it with an 800MM rokinon

http://davidee.smugmug.com/Other/800...56_uyhNr-L.jpg

and the xlarge version

http://davidee.smugmug.com/Other/800...6_uyhNr-X3.jpg

the original is just massive, I did not crop it, just posted it as I shot it


davidee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 03:16 AM   #6
mtbdudex
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Nice shots kallisti and davidee.

I was visiting family over the holidays, took the tripod for the Dec-31-2009 Blue Moon, but it was cloudy in SE Michigan.

Anybody here got both Dec-2009 full moons?

I took this on 12/29/2009


and earlier this morning 1/2/2010.
__________________
Mike R, P.E. ;iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, TV(160)
Canon: 70D+lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II/TC 1.4x 2x/15-85/f1.4 50;580EX II,FEISOL tripod CT-3441S
DIY acoustic panels. . .HT Project
mtbdudex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 03:50 AM   #7
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000
 
yetanotherdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
As it was a blue moon, I set the white balance to the lightblulb preset...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yetanotherdave/4231997383/
Nikon D40 200mm 1/15s f13

and without.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yetanotherdave/4231998215/
Nikon D40 200mm 1/6s f6.3
__________________
It's just a ride, & we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings & money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. - Bill Hicks
yetanotherdave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 04:25 AM   #8
DaveOZ
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
DaveOZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 08:28 AM   #9
Hello-Jeremy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway

Shot at 1/8s, ƒ/5.6, ISO 800 without a tripod :-)
Bigger versjon
__________________
iMac 2.93 | iMac 2.4 | MacBook Pro 2.8 | MacBook Pro 2.2

Last edited by Hello-Jeremy; Jan 2, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Resized the image, added Flickr-link
Hello-Jeremy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 02:19 PM   #10
RHVC59
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Johns, Portland, Oregon
Need a longer lens....
Nikon DX 55-200 1-4-5.6
ISO 100, tripod, manual focus, IS off, Remote trigger, Very cold hands...

All PP done in CS3 Adobe RAW, the last three images were cropped in RAW

photo 1. f8 15 sec
photo 2. sky F8, 55 sec
photo 3. F8 1/15 sec, Daylight WB
photo 1. F8 1/15 sec ,Daylight WB
photo 5. last one F10, 1/60, sec WB - Incandescent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4607.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	209418   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4609.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	209419   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4613.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	209420  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4618.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	209421   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4632.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	209422  
__________________
MBP 2.2 Ghz Intel, Core 2 Duo, 6 GB DDR2 too many ipods, 4th Gen Iphone, Ipad2
Nikon D7100 A nice Hackintosh
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhvc59/
RHVC59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:15 PM   #11
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Wow. There are some fantastic shots in this thread.
NeuralControl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 09:55 AM   #12
OrangeCuse44
macrumors 65816
 
OrangeCuse44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
As it was a blue moon, I set the white balance to the lightblulb preset...
Thumb resize.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yetanotherdave/4231997383/
Nikon D40 200mm 1/15s f13
Dave, that is great. It has wallpaper written all over it, very nice!
__________________
White Macbook:iPhone 4:iPod Shuffle
Nikon D90:18-105 VR:35mm f/1.8:Flickr Project 365 Twitter
OrangeCuse44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:30 AM   #13
RHVC59
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Johns, Portland, Oregon
Shot the other night
Lens old non-automatic lens,
Nikkor * ED 300mm 1:4.5 with a Nikon TC-301 2x Teleconverter for an effective lens length of 750mm?
non cropped image

Manual settings F-16
1/60 sec

ISO 100
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-01-22-Moon.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	212123  
__________________
MBP 2.2 Ghz Intel, Core 2 Duo, 6 GB DDR2 too many ipods, 4th Gen Iphone, Ipad2
Nikon D7100 A nice Hackintosh
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhvc59/
RHVC59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:39 PM   #14
thesmall
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
kallisti did u took it u r self.. or did u paste it fron the internet.. never the less the picture looks absolutley amazing
thesmall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:23 PM   #15
mtbdudex
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Shot about 1 hr ago, here in 15degf Michigan....brrrrr
Manual mode, 1/200 second, ƒ/10, ISO 100, IS off, camera had about 30 minute cold soak outside, used mirror lock enabled.
__________________
Mike R, P.E. ;iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, TV(160)
Canon: 70D+lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II/TC 1.4x 2x/15-85/f1.4 50;580EX II,FEISOL tripod CT-3441S
DIY acoustic panels. . .HT Project

Last edited by mtbdudex; Jan 28, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
mtbdudex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:28 PM   #16
mtbdudex
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidee View Post
very very nice

Here is one of mine

I took it with an 800MM rokinon

http://davidee.smugmug.com/Other/800...56_uyhNr-L.jpg

and the xlarge version

http://davidee.smugmug.com/Other/800...6_uyhNr-X3.jpg

the original is just massive, I did not crop it, just posted it as I shot it
I opened your original pict, love the detail, you people with big lens get great shots, I might spring for a 1.4 TC and see how that helps my 55-250 kit lens get more detail. Hopefully I won't reach the optic limits of my kit zoom lens.
__________________
Mike R, P.E. ;iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, TV(160)
Canon: 70D+lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II/TC 1.4x 2x/15-85/f1.4 50;580EX II,FEISOL tripod CT-3441S
DIY acoustic panels. . .HT Project
mtbdudex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:33 AM   #17
maddagascar
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Shot about 1 hr ago, here in 15degf Michigan....brrrrr
Manual mode, 1/200 second, /10, ISO 100, IS off, camera had about 30 minute cold soak outside, used mirror lock enabled.
did you have to crop the photo? great quality, what kind of lens do you have?

i only have the 18-55m lens kit on my canon, and the moon looks verry tiny..haaha. thanks!
__________________
My Photography website... Light Up the Darkness
maddagascar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:33 PM   #18
mtbdudex
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddagascar View Post
did you have to crop the photo? great quality, what kind of lens do you have?

i only have the 18-55m lens kit on my canon, and the moon looks verry tiny..haaha. thanks!
My len is the 55-250 kit that I bought with the T1i (have the 18-55 kit also), decent starter lens. No, I don't have to crop the photo, but when I do I don't increase size either, just crop. I use webpicasa to host my photos, and only upload 1000 pixels max size, if bigger picasa will downscale them to fit, but not upscale.

I do simple / basic PP as:
1: Import into PSE, crop not centered but slightly off center in rectangular crop
2: Levels>AutoLevel (I've done the eyedropper on white/grey and autolevels does a decent job on moon shots, enough to quickly automate)
3: Darken highlights 20%
4: unsharp mask 1 pixel usually 125-150%, I watch to make sure not oversharpened
5: Save as jpeg for upload, keep original RAW also

That's what I've learned. I'm about to buy a 1.4 TC, someday I'll get "L" glass but for now $$ going to other stuff.

Here is same shot, same PP, but un-cropped:
__________________
Mike R, P.E. ;iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, TV(160)
Canon: 70D+lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II/TC 1.4x 2x/15-85/f1.4 50;580EX II,FEISOL tripod CT-3441S
DIY acoustic panels. . .HT Project

Last edited by mtbdudex; Jan 29, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
mtbdudex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:13 AM   #19
maddagascar
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
My len is the 55-250 kit that I bought with the T1i (have the 18-55 kit also), decent starter lens. No, I don't have to crop the photo, but when I do I don't increase size either, just crop. I use webpicasa to host my photos, and only upload 1000 pixels max size, if bigger picasa will downscale them to fit, but not upscale.

I do simple / basic PP as:
1: Import into PSE, crop not centered but slightly off center in rectangular crop
2: Levels>AutoLevel (I've done the eyedropper on white/grey and autolevels does a decent job on moon shots, enough to quickly automate)
3: Darken highlights 20%
4: unsharp mask 1 pixel usually 125-150%, I watch to make sure not oversharpened
5: Save as jpeg for upload, keep original RAW also


That's what I've learned. I'm about to buy a 1.4 TC, someday I'll get "L" glass but for now $$ going to other stuff.

Here is same shot, same PP, but un-cropped:
lol..kinda got confused about the crop part.. but i definitely need to pick up a new lens that can zoom that far. what do you mean about not increasing the size? cause those photos of the moon full in the picture look amazing. i just thought you cropped the photo regularly.
__________________
My Photography website... Light Up the Darkness
maddagascar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:22 AM   #20
Macshroomer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
When ever I wake up, I peek out the bedroom window right next to me, the mattress is level with the sill. I woke up to this big yellow thing setting above Mt. Sopris and the 2010 ESPN Winter XGames which I shoot every year for several clients. I love it when the light balance from moon to ambience is dead on, no burning or dodging needed. Nikon 200-400 F/4, D700, no crop, no PP....
__________________
MacPro 5,1 Hex 3.33, 48GB, 12TB internal, 840 Pro 512GB in V2 PCI to SATA-III, Intel 335 240SSD in optical bay for spare boot & scratch, GTX680, 30" ACD, 12TB RAID-1 rMBP i7/16GB/1TB

Last edited by Macshroomer; Jun 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Macshroomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:53 PM   #21
mtbdudex
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Very nice Macshroomer, great shot and place to live.

I took this just @ moonrise over the tree line this evening from my woodshop 2nd floor open window.
There was actually a very thin/whispy cloud layer making the moon more yellow than white at this moment.
__________________
Mike R, P.E. ;iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, TV(160)
Canon: 70D+lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II/TC 1.4x 2x/15-85/f1.4 50;580EX II,FEISOL tripod CT-3441S
DIY acoustic panels. . .HT Project
mtbdudex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:59 PM   #22
partyBoy
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dilligaf
*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	werewolf.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	212865  
partyBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:20 PM   #23
nickXedge
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
My len is the 55-250... <snip>
I do simple / basic PP as:
1: Import into PSE, crop not centered but slightly off center in rectangular crop
2: Levels>AutoLevel (I've done the eyedropper on white/grey and autolevels does a decent job on moon shots, enough to quickly automate)
3: Darken highlights 20%
4: unsharp mask 1 pixel usually 125-150%, I watch to make sure not oversharpened
5: Save as jpeg for upload, keep original RAW also

That's what I've learned. I'm about to buy a 1.4 TC, someday I'll get "L" glass but for now $$ going to other stuff.

Here is same shot, same PP, but un-cropped:
<image snip>
I've been following this thread since you started it, because that was right after I made a post about buying my first DSLR and you recommended I "look up" with my 55-250mm IS lens. I finally had a good opportunity to take some moon shots tonight, however I'm a little disappointed in what I ended up with. I only got my camera a month ago, and I've had very little time to play around with it. When shooting tonight, I tried a variety of settings, and I understand how certain settings affect the result, I took an intro photo course last summer.

The first image is the RAW file of what I believe was my best shot, saved as a JPG to upload here. The second image is a JPG export of the RAW file, after I tried PPing it as per your instructions. I have PS: CS4, because I got it at education discount, but I don't really know how to do a lot with it yet.

I very much want criticism and tips on PP, please. My images came out alright, but when viewing them zoomed in, not even to 100%, the moon wasn't very sharp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156original.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	213011   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156edit.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	213012  
__________________
-Straight Edge-
nickXedge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:29 AM   #24
mtbdudex
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickXedge View Post
I've been following this thread since you started it, because that was right after I made a post about buying my first DSLR and you recommended I "look up" with my 55-250mm IS lens. I finally had a good opportunity to take some moon shots tonight, however I'm a little disappointed in what I ended up with. I only got my camera a month ago, and I've had very little time to play around with it. When shooting tonight, I tried a variety of settings, and I understand how certain settings affect the result, I took an intro photo course last summer.

The first image is the RAW file of what I believe was my best shot, saved as a JPG to upload here. The second image is a JPG export of the RAW file, after I tried PPing it as per your instructions. I have PS: CS4, because I got it at education discount, but I don't really know how to do a lot with it yet.

I very much want criticism and tips on PP, please. My images came out alright, but when viewing them zoomed in, not even to 100%, the moon wasn't very sharp.
Looking at your exif exposure data: 1/400 second, ƒ/5.6, ISO 100.
Aperture too wide, try f 9 - f 11, around 1/200 - 1/250 shutter combos, take a few at diff combos and see what works.
I've read the 55-250 kit is decent lens but soft at wide open aperture, so I try and stay away from wide open.
Slightly underexposed is ok for moon shots, ACR / CS4 you handle.
Also, focus looks not be 100% dialed, your XS has live view? (I don't know).
With my T1i and canon kit 55-250 I've found in live view 10x auto focus does a decent job, I make sure to pick a "contrasty" part of the moon for focusing.
Once focused, I turn to manual, make sure IS is off, mirror lock enabled, I use a remote trigger RC-1 on 2 seconds.

Good luck, shoot more and have fun.
__________________
Mike R, P.E. ;iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, TV(160)
Canon: 70D+lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II/TC 1.4x 2x/15-85/f1.4 50;580EX II,FEISOL tripod CT-3441S
DIY acoustic panels. . .HT Project
mtbdudex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:11 AM   #25
nickXedge
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Looking at your exif exposure data: 1/400 second, ƒ/5.6, ISO 100.
Aperture too wide, try f 9 - f 11, around 1/200 - 1/250 shutter combos, take a few at diff combos and see what works.
I've read the 55-250 kit is decent lens but soft at wide open aperture, so I try and stay away from wide open.
Slightly underexposed is ok for moon shots, ACR / CS4 you handle.
Also, focus looks not be 100% dialed, your XS has live view? (I don't know).
With my T1i and canon kit 55-250 I've found in live view 10x auto focus does a decent job, I make sure to pick a "contrasty" part of the moon for focusing.
Once focused, I turn to manual, make sure IS is off, mirror lock enabled, I use a remote trigger RC-1 on 2 seconds.

Good luck, shoot more and have fun.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep trying and post when I get something good. When you say "stay away from wide open", you mean shoot at like 200-225mm and not the full 250mm right? Yes, the XS has live view, I didn't think to use it to check focus, that's a good idea, I'll do that. What is mirror lock? That is something I haven't heard of. And I don't have a remote trigger, but I use the 2 second delay so I don't shake or move the camera while it's on the tripod. Although, I guess shooting at 1/200 - 1/250 doesn't require a tripod? Even with IS off?
__________________
-Straight Edge-

Last edited by nickXedge; Feb 1, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
nickXedge is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"White Runner | Angry Moon" iglobal123 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Aug 3, 2013 12:33 AM
Moon lizardofwoz Digital Photography 12 Apr 29, 2013 11:34 PM
Cellairis Rapture Full Moon Case Jizzles iPhone Accessories 0 Oct 16, 2012 02:01 AM
Cellairis Rapture Full Moon Case c0venant iPhone Accessories 4 Oct 4, 2012 03:14 PM
We choose to go to the moon" eagandale4114 Current Events 35 Oct 3, 2012 04:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC