Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hey. So the wife and I both have an iPod Touch which we purchased when they first came out. Unfortunately the other day when I turned mine on I had a grey line going across the screen. A day or so later the grey line became a huge grey blotch and now I'm thinking about replacing it.

From what I understand their is a new model. What are all the new features? I read about a speaker on the new model. I'm assuming this is so you can listen to videos or music without the need for headphones. This would be pretty cool so you could show videos to people or for watching movies, I'm assuming that is why they included it.

Aside from that what are some of the features. Anything interesting?

I also have a number of games and apps plus the update that cost $9.99 which I think I bought mostly because of the cut/copy and paste feature. Will I have to purchase the update again for the new iPod or will I be able to install the one I had on my new iPod since my last one crapped out on me. I didn't buy the update for my wifes iPod since she doesn't use hers that much.

I have the InCase Slider for the original iPod Touch and I'm guessing the new one can't use it from either a different size or because the new volume buttons. Is there an InCase Slider for the new model and is it still a top choice for cases?

One last question. Is the screen size the exact same? I have an Invsible Shield screen protector I purchased for my iPod Touch and I want to know if I will be able to take it off and put it on the new one if I purchase it.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

-Drew

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
http://www.shinywhitegadgets.com/2008/09/ipod-touch-1g-vs-ipod-touch-2g-to.html

There is a link to some things you might wanna check out before upgrading... Although if your iTouch 1g just went out on you, it would be better to just upgrade being that trying to find a 1g rather than a 2g is going to get harder and harder to find...Its just like everything else... They want you to upgrade to the latest and greatest LoL :apple:

Thank you. I guess the only thing that I'm really happy to see is the speaker so I will probably be upgrading.

I'm guess the update I purchased can only be used for 1 iPod which sucks. :(

The Incase Slider I have I will just give to the wife and I will need to buy a new case.

The screen size hasn't changed has it?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
First of all, the latest model is the 3rd gen (even though officially, Apple calls it the "late 2009" model), so you skipped a generation.

The 2nd gen and 3rd gen look exactly the same on the outside, but the 3rd gen has a faster processor. Yes, the 2nd and 3rd gen have speakers, but the sound is tiny and not intended for listening to music. It may be adequate enough for most youtube videos, or to watch short sections of a movie. For anything longer you'd want headphones or external speakers. I believe the ipod speakers are mainly meant for playing games.

When you buy a new ipod, it will come with the latest firmware, which is even newer than the one you bought for $9.99. Incidentally, you don't need to buy it again for your wife, you can connect your wife's ipod to the computer you used to purchase the upgrade, and click "update" and it should update your wife's touch without making you buy it again.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Thank you very much for all the help. I was trying to think of the other purpose of the speaker which would have been games but for some reason I couldn't think if it.

Nothing is more soothing then the sound of Ode to Joy after blasting the last orange peg in Peggle. :D

I guess I'll try to use the Invisible Shield I currently have on the new model when I buy it and if it doesn't fit properly I will just order another one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.