Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LexieMSU08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
East Lansing
Can I connect a wireless router to the second ethernet port of my MacPro?

I have the main ethernet cord from the modem connected to my ethernet port 1, then I connected my router to my computer through ethernet 2, thinking that it would broadcast the internet connection. However, it is not working. The router is broadcasting, but the internet isn't working (and the light indicating internet connection on the router is yellow, not green). Is this something that isn't possible? Or do I need to change settings (not just plug and go)?

Thanks!

Tiki35

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
Power down your modem, router, and computer.

You connect your broadband modem to the WAN (or Internet) port on your router. Then you connect the ethernet cable from your MacPro to one of the available other ports on the router.

Turn the modem on first, wait for it to show that it is online, then power up your router, wait for it boot up, and then turn on your computer.

LexieMSU08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
East Lansing
Power down your modem, router, and computer.

You connect your broadband modem to the WAN (or Internet) port on your router. Then you connect the ethernet cable from your MacPro to one of the available other ports on the router.

Turn the modem on first, wait for it to show that it is online, then power up your router, wait for it boot up, and then turn on your computer.

I just wanted to bypass my router because I hate it so much, and have the internet directly into my computer, but yet still have wireless for my laptop and my roommate.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I would have advised as suggested above.

However, try sharing your internet from ethernet 1 to ethernet 2, then plugging into your router's LAN port. This could work but I don't know as I've never done it before

Tiki35

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
Besides allowing you to share your internet amongst your LAN, it also acts as a hardware firewall. They are so ridiculously cheap, if you don't like your current router, why not purchase another one for security sake.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I just wanted to bypass my router because I hate it so much, and have the internet directly into my computer, but yet still have wireless for my laptop and my roommate.

Nope, sorry that's not going to work, unless you're going to piggyback off of one of your neighbor's wireless routers that has not setup security.

Unless I misunderstand the OP's question, this is most certainly possible.

Connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of the router and configure the router accordingly.

You can then run an ethernet cable from your computer to the router and plug it into one of the other ports, and still configure the wireless for your laptop and roommate.

LexieMSU08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
East Lansing
I only want to use my router to broadcast wireless to the roomie and laptop. I want to have the ethernet from the modem connected to my desktop, the computer I work from and the one I want the best internet for. I don't want to buy a new router right now, I am saving for a time capsule.

I tried sharing from ethernet 1 to port 2, but with no success, but then again I didn't power everything up in the right order. So I'll try again tomorrow.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I only want to use my router to broadcast wireless to the roomie and laptop. I want to have the ethernet from the modem connected to my desktop, the computer I work from and the one I want the best internet for. I don't want to buy a new router right now, I am saving for a time capsule.

I tried sharing from ethernet 1 to port 2, but with no success, but then again I didn't power everything up in the right order. So I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm a bit puzzled, what do you mean by "best internet?" It sounds like what you're proposing gives ONLY your computer internet access and locks your roommate and laptop out - is that what you're going for? If so, you'll need a router with an uplink port to connect the second wireless router - although if the router you have is wireless you could accomplish the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.