Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1
julianna1973
macrumors 6502

What earphones are there that stop music annoying others? will noise cancelling ones

work? anything i read on noise cancelling is that its to keep outside sounds out but does it work the other way also?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:58 PM   #2
telecomm
macrumors 65816

Ear buds, in particular in-ear headphones (aka IEMs for In Ear Monitors) may be your best best. Noise cancelling headphones won't be any different than other types of headphones wrt leaking sound.
telecomm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:02 PM   #3
julianna1973
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecomm View Post
Ear buds, in particular in-ear headphones (aka IEMs for In Ear Monitors) may be your best best. Noise cancelling headphones won't be any different than other types of headphones wrt leaking sound.
arent they what you get with your ipod from apple anyway ?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:09 PM   #4
telecomm
macrumors 65816

You'd get earbuds, but not the "in ear" version. The latter is sort of like an earplug that plays music, so they block external noise like noise cancelling headphones, but also prevent music from leaking out (plus, unlike noise cancelling headphones, they don't need batteries).

Some people find them uncomfortable (since they sit in your ear canal), but others (myself included) swear by them.

Depending on how much you're looking to spend, Shure and Ultimate Ears and two of the big names. Apple also makes an in ear version of their headphones (but they have to be purchased separately, as far as I can recall.)
telecomm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:13 PM   #5
instaxgirl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecomm View Post
Some people find them uncomfortable (since they sit in your ear canal), but others (myself included) swear by them.
I love in ears. I find them very, very comfortable. I buy Sennheisers - good sound and I'm holding off on trying Shures because the Sennheiser in ears are the most comfortable I've ever found.

People can't hear my music with them at all I'm using Sennheiser cx500s right now, but I can also vouch for the cx300s.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:18 PM   #6
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
IEMs are noise-canceling headphones would do the trick, I prefer the former over the latter.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod