Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I am trying to find out if the glossy screens and very bright displays when calibrated will give proper print results?

Do you know what I mean?

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
I calibrate mine no sweat., using a Spyder 2.

However, if I want something to look perfect on press, I look at a printers proof or press check under their color correct lights... theres only so much you can get on a RGB monitor vs CMYK or PMS print job...

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I understand the variables.

I have been using my MPB 2.16 dual version for editing plus attached to an older Mitsubishi Diamond CRT. I have had numerous problems with calibrating and getting the correct settings.
Wedding photography is hard enough then after you kill your self getting some nice shots,,, you mess up with PP.. can't stand it.

I need a better solution. Either I get another newer good monitor and run it off my MBP or I buy another computer. I just bought a white light for color correction, it helps some..

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
Just looked at the Imacs!

I had a good salesman, another pro photographer to help.
One thing I do have to say that in the show room the lights on the wall certainly didn't help with the glossy screens. Lot's of reflections but wow, what a screen.. the 27" is gorgeous.

I mentioned I am having trouble with PP and color correction using my MBP.
I viewed my website pictures on the Imag.. crogersphotography.com, and yup I could see images where there were too much saturation.
I looked at his website and his images looked great.

So I do need to change something. He told me that the Imac can be calibrated to give me a 96% accuracy..

I also looked at the 24" cinema display which is basically the same as the Imacs.
So I could buy one of those or go for a quad Imac 27"
My laptop is 3 years old so do I continue to use it or go for a newer system?

He uses a 17" MBP for his pro work.. I guess he's got it down..

cparktd

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Middle TN
The new ones should be good as they are correct type screen and unlike the eairlier versions, you can adjust the luminance as needed.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
thanks for the input but I guess I am going to for go it.

I just bought a HP 2475 monitor and will run it off my 15" MBP..

I prefer just having 1 computer to deal with.
I am going to see what comes down the line january for new MBP.s

maybe a quad 17" anti glare screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.