Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Dec 3, 2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Goldru5h
macrumors newbie

How Do I Get my burned DVD to work in my xbox 360

I downloaded a movie file off the internet. The movie was in Avi format. I want to burn this movie to a DVD-R that will play in my xbox 360 and my DVD player.

The only program I have so far is iDVD. Which by my understanding is used to author the movie.

So do I need a program to convert avi to another format? and If so what format? and are there any programs that will do this for free?
Goldru5h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

AVI is a codec and DVD is a media. MPEG2 is what you'd see on a playable DVD. Toast Titanium should be good for this or google free avi to dvd converters mac and see what happens.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Goldru5h
macrumors newbie

So is this what I have to do.

- Convert my AVI file to MPEG2
- inport into iDVD, where I author and then burn
Goldru5h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 06:38 AM   #4
admwright
macrumors regular

I would use MPEG Streamclip from www.squared5.com to change the container from avi to mov. Once you open the file in the program you use "save as" (if I remember correctly) it should only take a few seconds (depending on the size of the file) as it is just writing out the video data into a new container. If it takes "ages" then most likely you have selected the wrong option to save and it is actually re-encoding the data. Once saved iDVD will be able to access the file and render the appropriate mpeg2 data.

Macs do not like mpeg2 files unless you have purchased the add on from Apple. Also you do not want to re-encode any more than you need to.

All the best
Andrew W.
admwright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:58 AM   #5
seb-opp
macrumors 6502

There are other ways to play movies on the xbox360. Have you heard of an app called Connect360? if you have your xbox connected to your network, you can stream movies from your mac to it. That would mean you don't need to use up DVDs for each movie.

Also, if you NEED to have it on DVD, it might work as a data DVD. I havn't tried this, but if you have lots of discs and don't mind doing this as an experiment then try it. If it works it will make the whole process quicker in future:

Try burning the AVI file straight onto the dvd using a burn folder in Mac OS. Hopefully the Xbox will be able to play it like this, if it works it would be like plugging in a hard drive. Also, if it works you would be able to put more than one movie on each disc.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:53 PM   #6
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldru5h View Post
So is this what I have to do.

- Convert my AVI file to MPEG2
- inport into iDVD, where I author and then burn
I've burnt AVIs in iDVD. You can do a option for no menu or anything and just to play the AVI. However, the AVI was not DivX; which I am thinking you may have if you "downloaded a movie off the internet" but I don't know.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video