Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hi, new to this forum, so hi everyone.
Back when we were all running Panther and then Tiger, I bought an application called Volume Logic (no longer available from the publisher) that processes music in iTunes real-time. There was a hack using a component of iWow to get the app working under Leopard, and that worked fine, but the introduction of Snow Leopard zapped that. I am not a professional musician nor do I work in a music studio and I have a limited budget for speakers, etc. So I found Volume Logic great in combination with my low-cost sub-woofer and satellite speakers. Is there a comparative Snow Leopard compatible software available?
Or a workaround to get olume Logic working under SL?
:apple::cool::apple:

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
what do you mean it 'processes music realtime in itunes'?

Can you use Garageband to process / add effects etc to music in a similar way?

deej

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Processes in real time

I mean the application processes the audio output from iTunes to the speakers/headphones in real time, doing compression and filtering. I am not sure about the technical aspect in any depth, but to my ears the resulting sound is very good, you can actually hear everything, breath taken in, strings vibrating etc, just as you would in a good studio or excellently produced CD.
So your reference to GB is not relevant. :D

carlos4391

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
California
I've been looking for a replacement for volume logic too. It was one of my favorite apps and when I upgraded to snow leopard the window would show up but it wasn't working :mad:

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
http://machinecodex.com/neutrino/index.php
Something like that maybe? This doesn't work with iTunes as such though. It's an alternative player. But it does work from your existing library and playlists etc. Plus it can use a multitude of AU plugins for various effects.
Has some other nifty features too.
Not free, but neither is it expensive :) And you get a 30 day trial.

I used a much older version of this some time ago, and it was pretty cool. I've not tried this latest one though..

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
VolumeLogic works perfectly on Snow Leopard. You do need to update some stuff first though:

Download version 1.3.2L first.

Also see the following, copied from this webpage.

• Quit iTunes
  • Download iWOW (updated for Leopard) Demo and install
  • Quit iTunes or dont start iTunes....
  • Drag the iWOW plugin out of /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL/ to the desktop
  • Ctrl Click iWOW plugin (show package contents)
  • Goto Contents/MacOS/ (you should see iTea.)
  • Ctrl Click VolumeLogic plugin (show package contents)
  • Replace the iTea located in the Volume Logic plugin with the one from iWOW on the desktop.
  • Download the Latest eSR SDK
  • Mount the eSellerate Embedded SDK and look in the "eSellerate Libs" folder for "EWSMacCompress.tar.gz"
  • Go to /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL/VolumeLogic.plugin
  • Ctrl click and choose "Show Package contents" and open the folder "Resources"
  • Replace the "EWSMacCompress.tar.gz" with the one from the eSR SDK dmg you just mounted

What I'd like to see though is an equivalent of VolumeLogic that works on iPod Touch (or iPhone).

starbai

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2009
VolumeLogic works perfectly on Snow Leopard. You do need to update some stuff first though:

• Quit iTunes
  • Replace the iTea located in the Volume Logic plugin with the one from iWOW on the desktop.
  • Mount the eSellerate Embedded SDK and look in the "eSellerate Libs" folder for "EWSMacCompress.tar.gz"
  • Replace the "EWSMacCompress.tar.gz" with the one from the eSR SDK dmg you just mounted

What I'd like to see though is an equivalent of VolumeLogic that works on iPod Touch (or iPhone).

Can anyone help me figure out where to download the latest 'eSR SDK' from?

I'm googling it but coming up empty handed since I dont really know what the heck it is... I'm just trying to get VolumeLogic to work

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan

• Quit iTunes
Great news. I tried to follow your instructions but ran into a problem, see below. BTW, the link above is broken, not really need, as your instructions are so good, but downloading the latest eSR SDK is not so simple. They require a website to sign up and I don't have one. Could you provide a link to the EWSMacCompress.tar.gz required without any hassle?
Thanks

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I got VL working on SL! Thanks to Powerbooky for the hints and instructions.
In retrospec, I found the SDK file required through a google search, not from the developer'S HP, another site, straight download.
Then I had to bring over the esllerate and VL prefs from a previous Leopard installation, in order to get it working.
Thanks again Powerbooky for the info!
Much obliged. :cool::D:cool:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Can anyone help me figure out where to download the latest 'eSR SDK' from?

I'm googling it but coming up empty handed since I dont really know what the heck it is... I'm just trying to get VolumeLogic to work

Do a Google search on "eSellerate Embedded SDK" and find one that is a direct link, not the developer's site. I noticed one on the first page and it worked even though it is from 2008!

See my note about bringing in preferences and the old esellerate folder from a leopard installation, the esellerate confirmation hangs the first time you open iTunes, and you have to do a Option-Command-Esc to force quit it. Then running iTunes again brought up a different dialog box, clicked Yes/OK and it worked.

Since the product is discontinued, esellerate has a special way of handling the product I assume. Anyway I have reinstalled it several times running Leopard and now once running SL. So keep trying, it can be done.:cool:

mbnt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
NYC Metro Area
Easiest Way to get VL Working

I have a beta of 10.6.5 installed, along with iTunes 10.0.1, and have come up with a very easy way to get VolumeLogic installed and running in no time!

Make sure iTunes is not running before proceeding!

• Download the latest version of VolumeLogic here: http://bit.ly/c76nni

• Unzip and move the plug-in to "Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL."

• Repair permissions with Disk Utility.

• Afterwards, download the latest eSellerate engine (v4.0 at the time of this writing) here:

http://shopper.esellerate.net/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=5620 (The Mac v. should be the very first one in the list.)

• After it's installed, launch iTunes. VolumeLogic will say there's a product activation error, do you want to ty activating again? Click on Activate (or OK) and boom! Instant registration! No serial number, Terminal hacks, or poking into package contents.

Hope someone finds this very helpful! I've been using VL on both Windows and Mac for years! Greatest audio plug-in ever!

bladerunner1948

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
Absolutely perfect. Activation initially failed but then entered my serial number and everything works. Music back to sounding fantastic. I've so missed Volume Logic!!

Done on OSX 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1

Thanks for the tip.

JayV

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Hi, is there someone out there that does not use Volume Logic anymore and wants to sell their serial #? I just discovered the plugin a few weeks ago and can't find a place to buy a serial number.

Thanks!

Mars2002

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
I've never thanked Powerbooky for this information! It worked fine. Apple managed to block it again in iTunes 11.... Have you/has anybody figured out a way to get back to working again?

----------

Hi, is there someone out there that does not use Volume Logic anymore and wants to sell their serial #? I just discovered the plugin a few weeks ago and can't find a place to buy a serial number.

Thanks!

mbnt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
NYC Metro Area
VolumeLogic was a 32-bit plug-in. iTunes 11 is now fully a 64-bit program, so it's no longer going to work.

I haven’t used VL in a long time, but it was GREAT while it lasted.

PS. Apple doesn’t purposefully “block” anything, it’s just improving technology. I’m really impressed with the sound iTunes 11 produces, music sounds way better.

Last edited:

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
We should all persuade Leif Claesson to create a new VolumeLogic for OS-X.
For iTunes (or OS-X system wide) there's no other plugin that does a very good volume leveling as VolumeLogic does. And its price-tag was very reasonable too. Claesson currently only works on software for crappy Windows. :(

Meanwhile I'll stay with the old iTunes 10.7

mbnt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
NYC Metro Area
For iTunes (or OS-X system wide) there's no other plugin that does a very good volume leveling as VolumeLogic does. And its price-tag was very reasonable too. Claesson currently only works on software for crappy Windows. :(

Great idea, I'm going to do that right now. :D

fixmymac

macrumors regular

I have VolumeLogic working with iTunes 11.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 18.16.02.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 18.16.02.png
    351.6 KB · Views: 458

fixmymac

macrumors regular
VolumeLogic was a 32-bit plug-in. iTunes 11 is now fully a 64-bit program, so it's no longer going to work.

I haven’t used VL in a long time, but it was GREAT while it lasted.

PS. Apple doesn’t purposefully “block” anything, it’s just improving technology. I’m really impressed with the sound iTunes 11 produces, music sounds way better.

----------

I've never thanked Powerbooky for this information! It worked fine. Apple managed to block it again in iTunes 11.... Have you/has anybody figured out a way to get back to working again?

----------

fixmymac

macrumors regular
You going to share with us or…?

My pleasure...

I have attached the iTea file from the very latest version of SRS iWow. All you need to do is replace the iTea file within the VolumeLogic.plugin with this newer version and then set iTunes to open in 32-bit mode.

To find your existing iTea file, do the following...

Go to MacintoshHD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL. Your VolumeLogic.plugin file should be there. Right-click on it and select 'Show Package Contents'. Go to Contents/MacOS and you should see the iTea file.

Drag the attached iTea into the MacOS folder and authenticate to replace the existing one.

Let me know if this makes your day ;-)

PS. iTunes crashes if you try to run it in 32-bit mode with the old iTea file in place. Once the new iTea file is in place, iTunes will crash if you try to run it in 64-bit mode!!! However, VolumeLogic works... so who gives a damn??

Attachments

• iTea.zip
    45 KB · Views: 421

mbnt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
NYC Metro Area
My pleasure...

I have attached the iTea file from the very latest version of SRS iWow. All you need to do is replace the iTea file within the VolumeLogic.plugin with this newer version and then set iTunes to open in 32-bit mode.

To find your existing iTea file, do the following...

Go to MacintoshHD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL. Your VolumeLogic.plugin file should be there. Right-click on it and select 'Show Package Contents'. Go to Contents/MacOS and you should see the iTea file.

Drag the attached iTea into the MacOS folder and authenticate to replace the existing one.

Let me know if this makes your day ;-)

PS. iTunes crashes if you try to run it in 32-bit mode with the old iTea file in place. Once the new iTea file is in place, iTunes will crash if you try to run it in 64-bit mode!!! However, VolumeLogic works... so who gives a damn??

I hope this makes a lot of someone's-es(lol) day. I've been using Decibel for a long time now. I don't even have my serial number to VL anymore, let alone the installer. People here might, because it's my # I gave out.

It still would be nice to have a native, 64-bit v. Why they stopped devving VL is way beyond me. :/

Thanks for sharing. If you still have the VL I originally uploaded, I'd love to have it back to try this out, hehe.

fixmymac

macrumors regular
I hope this makes a lot of someone's-es(lol) day. I've been using Decibel for a long time now. I don't even have my serial number to VL anymore, let alone the installer. People here might, because it's my # I gave out.

It still would be nice to have a native, 64-bit v. Why they stopped devving VL is way beyond me. :/

Thanks for sharing. If you still have the VL I originally uploaded, I'd love to have it back to try this out, hehe.

Finding the installer for VL is easy. However, you need to perform some trickery to get it to accept a serial number. But you can run it in trial mode to re-live old times.

mbnt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
NYC Metro Area
Finding the installer for VL is easy. However, you need to perform some trickery to get it to accept a serial number. But you can run it in trial mode to re-live old times.

Okay, thankfully in my website backup, the archive I uploaded was still in there.

Yes, it works, yay!

I still like my Decibel, though, hehehe.

Good find, fixmymac! ;D

willduo

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Volume Logic - Thank You

Thank you Fixmymac for the Volume Logic fix - music sound through iTunes now fixed;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.