Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I read an article about just using a laptop as your main computer, desktop.

So I went to a MBP 2.16 dual core version which has been working out except for times when I need to get accurate color correction for my pro photography business.
I have an older, too old now CRT that I hoop up to it many times for photo editing but now I realize that that monitor needs to be replaced.

So here is the question what are the pros and cons for adding another computer, do I really need it. I am trying to make a decision.

I really like my MBP, I can do everything on it and the speed is fine.
Also having only one computer is easy for backing up and not worrying about file sharing and all the nonsense I guess.
I have an office with my CRT in there much most of the time but it's dark and boring so I bring my laptop in the kitchen where I surf, edit and watch tv from the living room..

That being said I just started to get the bug about a new quad Imac 27" and went yesterday to look at it.

I came very close to walking out with it. Yes it would be awesome to have but do I really need it? The other alternative is buying the new 24" ips screen and running that off my MBP when I need to do critical photo editing.

Then I am thinking my laptop is over 3 years old now and wonder what is the life on it? I would hate to buy the nice desk top and not use it, plus I would need more backup systems etc.

I do you external HD.s for all my clients photos so if I choose to work on them I just move the HD.

Any advice?? New 27" Imac or will the 24" monitor suffice?

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Then I am thinking my laptop is over 3 years old now and wonder what is the life on it? I would hate to buy the nice desk top and not use it, plus I would need more backup systems etc.

I do you external HD.s for all my clients photos so if I choose to work on them I just move the HD.

Any advice?? New 27" Imac or will the 24" monitor suffice?

Since your laptop is 3 years old I would buy the new 27" iMac. Your laptop could last for another 5+ years but who knows. I am just thinking the money you spend on a new monitor, you might as well buy a new computer with the latest technology...
Just my 2 cents worth.

hakr

macrumors regular
Since your laptop is 3 years old I would buy the new 27" iMac. Your laptop could last for another 5+ years but who knows. I am just thinking the money you spend on a new monitor, you might as well buy a new computer with the latest technology...
Just my 2 cents worth.

I would hold off on buying a new I7 until Apple acknowledges the problems a significant percentage of these new machines are having, and announces fixes that actually fix the problems.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You know what you don't need? Two threads on the same subject.

If I were you I'd buy the iMac i7 and be done with it. I have no reason to suggest that but I figured I'd suggest it all the same.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I just found out that the new 24" cinema will only work with newer laptops.. it has a mini dvi and there is no connector to buy that will make an older laptop work with it.. Now how stupid is that?? Let's make sure that millions of people cannot buy this monitor..Let's make sure we don't even make a cable to connect to older laptops.. yeah, that's a great idea???? duhhh

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
You know what you don't need? Two threads on the same subject.

If I were you I'd buy the iMac i7 and be done with it. I have no reason to suggest that but I figured I'd suggest it all the same.

yeah I know, I posted in the wrong thread originally..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.