Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Dec 5, 2009, 02:26 PM   #1
markjones05
macrumors 6502a

Xbox 360 controller delay with new LCD

I just got a new Samsung LN52A750 LCD and popped in MW2 and noticed a small delay from when I move a stick or push a button on the 360 remote to when it happened on the screen. I had previously been playing this on my Panasonic 42" Viera and there was no lag whatsoever. It's a very slight delay, but on a game like MW2 milliseconds matter. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue on my or any other TV with their Xbox or PS3. Does anyone know if there is a setting adjustment on the TV or game console that can fix this issue?
markjones05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Big-TDI-Guy
macrumors 68030

Check for a "game mode" setting - newer monitors have a setting that slightly improves response time.

Other things that affect your latency would be the resolution (if the display is up-mixing or down-mixing, or any other picture processing - you will increase latency) - so minimize / disable any of those "features".

Try using a different video input if you have that option.

I utterly detest the latency - someone had a clever way of measuring it using a stopwatch and a cheap digital camera - recording your controller and screen - to actually measure how long the lag time was.

Edit: Just noticed that LCD supports 120hz - that may actually be hurting you - because the XBOX isn't supplying 120hz - it's supplying 60hz - so the screen has to "guess" or "copy" every other frame - and this may actually be increasing your latency. Any way to lock that set into 60hz?
Big-TDI-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 03:33 PM   #3
markjones05
macrumors 6502a

I fixed it. It was the upconverting. My xbox was still set to output at 1080i instead of 1080p as soon as I changed it, the issue was gone. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-TDI-Guy View Post
Check for a "game mode" setting - newer monitors have a setting that slightly improves response time.

Other things that affect your latency would be the resolution (if the display is up-mixing or down-mixing, or any other picture processing - you will increase latency) - so minimize / disable any of those "features".

Try using a different video input if you have that option.

I utterly detest the latency - someone had a clever way of measuring it using a stopwatch and a cheap digital camera - recording your controller and screen - to actually measure how long the lag time was.

Edit: Just noticed that LCD supports 120hz - that may actually be hurting you - because the XBOX isn't supplying 120hz - it's supplying 60hz - so the screen has to "guess" or "copy" every other frame - and this may actually be increasing your latency. Any way to lock that set into 60hz?
markjones05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:39 PM   #4
artistsme
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-TDI-Guy View Post
Dude, signed up just to say thanks. This was exactly my problem and I was about to buy an HDMI cable. Thanks for your hint!
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Big-TDI-Guy
macrumors 68030

Wow, it's not every day you get thanked on the internet.

You're welcome!

Also, welcome to MacRumors.
Big-TDI-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games