Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I just got a new Samsung LN52A750 LCD and popped in MW2 and noticed a small delay from when I move a stick or push a button on the 360 remote to when it happened on the screen. I had previously been playing this on my Panasonic 42" Viera and there was no lag whatsoever. It's a very slight delay, but on a game like MW2 milliseconds matter. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue on my or any other TV with their Xbox or PS3. Does anyone know if there is a setting adjustment on the TV or game console that can fix this issue?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Check for a "game mode" setting - newer monitors have a setting that slightly improves response time.

Other things that affect your latency would be the resolution (if the display is up-mixing or down-mixing, or any other picture processing - you will increase latency) - so minimize / disable any of those "features".

Try using a different video input if you have that option.

I utterly detest the latency - someone had a clever way of measuring it using a stopwatch and a cheap digital camera - recording your controller and screen - to actually measure how long the lag time was.

Edit: Just noticed that LCD supports 120hz - that may actually be hurting you - because the XBOX isn't supplying 120hz - it's supplying 60hz - so the screen has to "guess" or "copy" every other frame - and this may actually be increasing your latency. Any way to lock that set into 60hz?

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I fixed it. It was the upconverting. My xbox was still set to output at 1080i instead of 1080p as soon as I changed it, the issue was gone. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Check for a "game mode" setting - newer monitors have a setting that slightly improves response time.

Other things that affect your latency would be the resolution (if the display is up-mixing or down-mixing, or any other picture processing - you will increase latency) - so minimize / disable any of those "features".

Try using a different video input if you have that option.

I utterly detest the latency - someone had a clever way of measuring it using a stopwatch and a cheap digital camera - recording your controller and screen - to actually measure how long the lag time was.

Edit: Just noticed that LCD supports 120hz - that may actually be hurting you - because the XBOX isn't supplying 120hz - it's supplying 60hz - so the screen has to "guess" or "copy" every other frame - and this may actually be increasing your latency. Any way to lock that set into 60hz?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Wow, it's not every day you get thanked on the internet. :p

You're welcome!

Also, welcome to MacRumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.