Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 5, 2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Frkstyle
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Orange refused to unlock my iphone

I got my orange iphone in July with an HTC hero, but I bought an sim free italian iphone to use on orange network.

The italian iphone was faulty last week and Genius bar in apple store sheffield replaced an orange locked iphone to me yesterday.

I rang up orange and they said they can't unlock it because it was not purchased from orange...even after three months...

Any solutions guys?
Frkstyle is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:03 PM   #2
thelatinist
macrumors 603
 
thelatinist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
I don't think you understand. Orange isn't refusing to unlock your iPhone. They can't unlock your iPhone. Carriers can only unlock iPhones physically obtained from their store. There is no way for them to unlock a phone you got (either purchased or exchanged) through an Apple store.
__________________
Late 2008 (Penryn) 13" White MacBook 2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB Ram, Samsung 840p SSD; iPhone 4S 64 GB, AppleCare+
thelatinist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Frkstyle
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
I don't think you understand. Orange isn't refusing to unlock your iPhone. They can't unlock your iPhone. Carriers can only unlock iPhones physically obtained from their store. There is no way for them to unlock a phone you got (either purchased or exchanged) through an Apple store.
They can still unlock a pay as you go iPhone from apple store though.
Typical orange CS.
Frkstyle is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Willis
macrumors 68020
 
Willis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: What feels like the middle of nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
I don't think you understand. Orange isn't refusing to unlock your iPhone. They can't unlock your iPhone. Carriers can only unlock iPhones physically obtained from their store. There is no way for them to unlock a phone you got (either purchased or exchanged) through an Apple store.
How does that work? I got my iPhone from Apple on O2 and I got my iPhone unlocked...

EDIT: unless you mean because they never activated a contract on your phone, which is what I think you meant
__________________
MacMini 2.3GHz, 4GB Ram, 500GB
iPhone 5s 64GB
iPad 16GB Wifi (4th Gen)
Willis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:14 PM   #5
drlunanerd
macrumors 65816
 
drlunanerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkstyle View Post
I got my orange iphone in July with an HTC hero, but I bought an sim free italian iphone to use on orange network.

The italian iphone was faulty last week and Genius bar in apple store sheffield replaced an orange locked iphone to me yesterday.

I rang up orange and they said they can't unlock it because it was not purchased from orange...even after three months...

Any solutions guys?
Sounds like actually you got lucky as everyone else I know who bought a factory unlocked iPhone from Italy have had to send it back there for warranty support.*

*I disagree with Apple's policy on this by the way and think it violates EU consumer law.
drlunanerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:16 PM   #6
thelatinist
macrumors 603
 
thelatinist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkstyle View Post
They can still unlock a pay as you go iPhone from apple store though.
Typical orange CS.
But you didn't buy a Orange PAYGO iPhone. You had an Italian iPhone replaced (how the hell you pulled that one over on a UK genius I don't know). Trust me, Orange has no way to unlock such a phone. Period. It's not a matter of poor customer service, it's a matter of you expecting them to do the impossible.
__________________
Late 2008 (Penryn) 13" White MacBook 2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB Ram, Samsung 840p SSD; iPhone 4S 64 GB, AppleCare+
thelatinist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:18 PM   #7
Frkstyle
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlunanerd View Post
Sounds like actually you got lucky as everyone else I know who bought a factory unlocked iPhone from Italy have had to send it back there for warranty support.*

*I disagree with Apple's policy on this by the way and think it violates EU consumer law.
Things went absolutely weird.
1st I registered the iphone with my UK ADDRESS, after using a few months i discovered a crack on the earphone socket, APPLE ITALY REFUSE TO SERVICE MY ITALIAN IPHONE SAYING THE IPHONE WAS REGISTERED IN ANOTHER COUNTRY.

NOW, SOME MAGIC THING HAPPENED A MIN AGO.....

I pop in a vodafone UK sim card into my new orange iphone, received an carrier update then itunes shows 'YOUR IPHONE HAS BEEN UNLOCKED' !!!!!!!!!
Frkstyle is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:21 PM   #8
thelatinist
macrumors 603
 
thelatinist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
I call BS.
__________________
Late 2008 (Penryn) 13" White MacBook 2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB Ram, Samsung 840p SSD; iPhone 4S 64 GB, AppleCare+
thelatinist is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:24 PM   #9
Frkstyle
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
I call BS.
I can't believe it happen.

anyone dont believe it just free to try a vodafone sim in an uk iphone.

PS: my iphone model no: MC133B
Frkstyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:10 PM   #10
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Probably just means you weren't actually given a locked phone at the Genius Bar or...you're original unlocked status/eligibility carried over to your replacement phone
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini
daneoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Steve Jobs=God
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
So your moaning because Orange refused to unlock a handset which isn't technically anything to do with the Orange account?

If you asked for a unlock code for the HTC Hero, which you did get with the orange contract, then not a problem, but Orange don't have the ability to unlock any random handset that is locked to their network, it has to be paired to either a PAYM or PAYG account, which is obviously isn't if you got it from Italy, and because the one you got from the Apple store isn't paired to any account either, Orange won't touch it either
Steve Jobs=God is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 02:42 PM   #12
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601
 
Compile 'em all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
I call BS.
Why are you calling BS exactly? what is it in for the OP to make this kind of thing up?

Macrumors Forums: The benchmark for stupidity.
__________________
Compile 'em all is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 02:58 PM   #13
thelatinist
macrumors 603
 
thelatinist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
Why are you calling BS exactly? what is it in for the OP to make this kind of thing up?
I call BS because the OP claims inserting a Vodafone SIM into an iPhone locked to Orange unlocked that phone. This on top of his implausible claim that an iPhone purchased from Italy was replaced at a UK Apple Store and repeated posts that showed clearly that he had no idea what he was talking about.

And your insult was uncalled for.
__________________
Late 2008 (Penryn) 13" White MacBook 2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB Ram, Samsung 840p SSD; iPhone 4S 64 GB, AppleCare+
thelatinist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 05:59 PM   #14
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bracknell UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
I call BS because the OP claims inserting a Vodafone SIM into an iPhone locked to Orange unlocked that phone. This on top of his implausible claim that an iPhone purchased from Italy was replaced at a UK Apple Store and repeated posts that showed clearly that he had no idea what he was talking about.

And your insult was uncalled for.
Well, it would seem from the recent post in this same forum section about the Vodafone carrier update now being available in iTunes that:

1. It's not BS
2. The phone may well have been "Orange locked" but apparently, in the UK, you can now switch between official carriers at will. Same as happened when Orange joined the list. (This is not the same as a factory unlock however).

This post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=831663
Moi un Mouton is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 06:25 PM   #15
Dee2001
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Your unlock status will have been carried over from your Italian iPhone.

I just had my unlocked o2 iPhone replaced last week due to camera problem and the replacement showed that it was unlocked when I plugged it into my pc.
Dee2001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:35 AM   #16
TAZZYBABY
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
My new iphone

Ive just brought an iphone on ebay which is licked on orange, will i have any trouble getting it unlocked?? its an iphone 3g 8gb, do it is quite old now, but ive just had a bad thought about wether or nor it will be able to be unlocked!!
TAZZYBABY is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:00 AM   #17
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040
 
bandofbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZYBABY View Post
Ive just brought an iphone on ebay which is licked on orange, will i have any trouble getting it unlocked?? its an iphone 3g 8gb, do it is quite old now, but ive just had a bad thought about wether or nor it will be able to be unlocked!!
Register with them as a customer first and have a look at their small print.

Their will probably be an online form to request the unlock for a small fee.

3gs iPhones are notoriously hard to unlock.
Start searching info about base bands etc. Check what yours is under general settings and about.

There are plenty of current threads on macrumors from users who are performing the unlock and of those wh are having some hiccups.

Or just become an Orange Network user..... just a thought.

Good luck.
__________________
MacBook Air 11 Core i5 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5.

iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Grey - iOS 8.1.1
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 8.1.1
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unlock iphone 4S (orange) possible? jigsb007 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Aug 25, 2013 04:08 AM
iPhone 4 unlock - Orange MagicBoy iPhone 4 Aug 19, 2013 04:38 PM
iPhone 5 Orange UK Unlock kwanzaa iPhone 7 Jun 26, 2013 05:44 PM
Orange UK Unlock iphone 4? kanko iPhone 3 Jan 3, 2013 08:48 AM
General: Unlock iPhone 4 Orange UK how? kanko Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Nov 17, 2012 02:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC