Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frkstyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
I got my orange iphone in July with an HTC hero, but I bought an sim free italian iphone to use on orange network.

The italian iphone was faulty last week and Genius bar in apple store sheffield replaced an orange locked iphone to me yesterday.

I rang up orange and they said they can't unlock it because it was not purchased from orange...even after three months...

Any solutions guys?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I don't think you understand. Orange isn't refusing to unlock your iPhone. They can't unlock your iPhone. Carriers can only unlock iPhones physically obtained from their store. There is no way for them to unlock a phone you got (either purchased or exchanged) through an Apple store.

Frkstyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
I don't think you understand. Orange isn't refusing to unlock your iPhone. They can't unlock your iPhone. Carriers can only unlock iPhones physically obtained from their store. There is no way for them to unlock a phone you got (either purchased or exchanged) through an Apple store.

They can still unlock a pay as you go iPhone from apple store though.
Typical orange CS.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK

How does that work? I got my iPhone from Apple on O2 and I got my iPhone unlocked...

EDIT: unless you mean because they never activated a contract on your phone, which is what I think you meant

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I got my orange iphone in July with an HTC hero, but I bought an sim free italian iphone to use on orange network.

The italian iphone was faulty last week and Genius bar in apple store sheffield replaced an orange locked iphone to me yesterday.

I rang up orange and they said they can't unlock it because it was not purchased from orange...even after three months...

Any solutions guys?

Sounds like actually you got lucky as everyone else I know who bought a factory unlocked iPhone from Italy have had to send it back there for warranty support.*

*I disagree with Apple's policy on this by the way and think it violates EU consumer law.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
They can still unlock a pay as you go iPhone from apple store though.
Typical orange CS.

But you didn't buy a Orange PAYGO iPhone. You had an Italian iPhone replaced (how the hell you pulled that one over on a UK genius I don't know). Trust me, Orange has no way to unlock such a phone. Period. It's not a matter of poor customer service, it's a matter of you expecting them to do the impossible.

Frkstyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Sounds like actually you got lucky as everyone else I know who bought a factory unlocked iPhone from Italy have had to send it back there for warranty support.*

*I disagree with Apple's policy on this by the way and think it violates EU consumer law.

Things went absolutely weird.
1st I registered the iphone with my UK ADDRESS, after using a few months i discovered a crack on the earphone socket, APPLE ITALY REFUSE TO SERVICE MY ITALIAN IPHONE SAYING THE IPHONE WAS REGISTERED IN ANOTHER COUNTRY.

NOW, SOME MAGIC THING HAPPENED A MIN AGO.....

I pop in a vodafone UK sim card into my new orange iphone, received an carrier update then itunes shows 'YOUR IPHONE HAS BEEN UNLOCKED' !!!!!!!!!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Probably just means you weren't actually given a locked phone at the Genius Bar or...you're original unlocked status/eligibility carried over to your replacement phone

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
So your moaning because Orange refused to unlock a handset which isn't technically anything to do with the Orange account?

If you asked for a unlock code for the HTC Hero, which you did get with the orange contract, then not a problem, but Orange don't have the ability to unlock any random handset that is locked to their network, it has to be paired to either a PAYM or PAYG account, which is obviously isn't if you got it from Italy, and because the one you got from the Apple store isn't paired to any account either, Orange won't touch it either

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Why are you calling BS exactly? what is it in for the OP to make this kind of thing up?

I call BS because the OP claims inserting a Vodafone SIM into an iPhone locked to Orange unlocked that phone. This on top of his implausible claim that an iPhone purchased from Italy was replaced at a UK Apple Store and repeated posts that showed clearly that he had no idea what he was talking about.

And your insult was uncalled for.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
I call BS because the OP claims inserting a Vodafone SIM into an iPhone locked to Orange unlocked that phone. This on top of his implausible claim that an iPhone purchased from Italy was replaced at a UK Apple Store and repeated posts that showed clearly that he had no idea what he was talking about.

And your insult was uncalled for.

Well, it would seem from the recent post in this same forum section about the Vodafone carrier update now being available in iTunes that:

1. It's not BS
2. The phone may well have been "Orange locked" but apparently, in the UK, you can now switch between official carriers at will. Same as happened when Orange joined the list. (This is not the same as a factory unlock however).

This post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/831663/

Dee2001

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Your unlock status will have been carried over from your Italian iPhone.

I just had my unlocked o2 iPhone replaced last week due to camera problem and the replacement showed that it was unlocked when I plugged it into my pc.

TAZZYBABY

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
My new iphone

Ive just brought an iphone on ebay which is licked on orange, will i have any trouble getting it unlocked?? its an iphone 3g 8gb, do it is quite old now, but ive just had a bad thought about wether or nor it will be able to be unlocked!! :confused:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Ive just brought an iphone on ebay which is licked on orange, will i have any trouble getting it unlocked?? its an iphone 3g 8gb, do it is quite old now, but ive just had a bad thought about wether or nor it will be able to be unlocked!! :confused:

Register with them as a customer first and have a look at their small print.

Their will probably be an online form to request the unlock for a small fee.

3gs iPhones are notoriously hard to unlock.
Start searching info about base bands etc. Check what yours is under general settings and about.

There are plenty of current threads on macrumors from users who are performing the unlock and of those wh are having some hiccups.

Or just become an Orange Network user..... just a thought.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.