Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricof

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
The Garden of England
Just wondering if many people use online hard drive back-ups, and if so which one?

I was looking at the iDrive pro package which is $4.95 a month for 150gb.

Are there any options that allow a one touch whole HD backup?

Cheers

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Hmm . . . Very interesting idea. Seems like a quick and simple back up solution. However, I cannot help but wonder how safe and secure one's info would be.

Exactly my thinking....everything is hackable.

Banks, for their security, hire the best hackers to try and hack their websites -so the banks can make their sites more secure.

If you want to be portable, I guess just settle for a seagate freeagent go. My girlfriend has the 320GB, and I know they offer a 500GB. It's self powered through USB.

ricof

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
The Garden of England
That is true. I am trying out the free 2gigs of online backup from iDrive. Will probably get an external in the near future.

When you guys back up do you just copy your whole HD or use some software?

Cheers

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
I back up with Time Machine and have a bootable cloned hard drives on standby.

Having an off-site resource does sound like a good idea though.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Mozy will give you 2 gig for free, and $4.95 a month for unlimited. But the basic service is slow.

Before you commit to a service, better make sure the upload and backup speeds are bearable. You'll hate a slow backup service.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I avoid using these services just for those reasons listed. Nothing is safe and you have to trust that the company you choose employs proper safegaurds. Just look at that sidekick debacle. Who knew that MS wouldn't have backed up the data as a rule or ran a special backup during the hardware upgrade

no it's my data and I go with a combination time machine/carbon copy cloner. I use CCC on a portable drive for offsite backups and TM for most everything else

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.