Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TippmannBaller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
I have an iPod touch 3rd gen with 3.1.2 firmware. My problem is that when I put the iPod in sleep mode, the last song that I was listening to will start to play. It's horrible because I am awakened during the night with a song playing and 1/2 battery because it was playing for hours. How can I fix this? Is there a way to "stop" the music after listening and not just putting it on pause? I already restored and that helped for about two days but then the problem persisted. Please help.

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
I'm not sure about your problem but I can tell you about my experiences.

I find that when I'm listening to music, I can close the iTunes app and launch another app (it doesn't matter which one, Apple or not) and the music still plays.

Also, while a song is playing, I can leave the iPod "on" and it will play even after the 3 minute "Auto-Lock" feature I have set turns off the screen.

Another instance is it will still play if I close the iTunes app, launch the Clock app, set a timer, close Clock, and then launch another app. (BTW: the timer still works too)

What I'm getting at is that the iPod is primarily a music player and seems to have been designed to make sure you hear your music all the time.

The only way I have been able to get the music to stop after one song or even after only a certain number of songs is to create a playlist. And I do have a 1 song playlist to do just that.

TippmannBaller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
I get what you're saying, but I think there is a problem with my device does this sporadically, not every time I put it into sleep mode.

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
So, I think you are saying that when you have a song playing and the iPod goes into sleep mode, sometimes the music stops playing after the song finishes and sometimes it doesn't.

I have never heard of it stop playing after a song in sleep mode unless it's the last song of an album or a playlist. I would imagine it could happen after the last song of the entire collection or the last song of a selected artist, composer, genre, etc.

If you are experiencing erratic behavior, since it's a 3rd gen and probably within its warranty period, a trip to the Apple store would be appropriate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.