Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Aug 6, 2004, 06:55 AM   #1
paxtonandrew
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to paxtonandrew
Processor Question

Hello,

Just a thought at dinner tonight, is the processor in my 1.33ghz PB, the same as the 1.5ghz? If so, are the cooling fans the same? If these two points are satisfied, would it be hard to over-clock the cpu to 1.5ghz? The computer is not slow by any means, with 1gb of ram, but the extra speed may come in handy.

Thanks for your help,
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:36 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
Hello,

Just a thought at dinner tonight, is the processor in my 1.33ghz PB, the same as the 1.5ghz? If so, are the cooling fans the same? If these two points are satisfied, would it be hard to over-clock the cpu to 1.5ghz? The computer is not slow by any means, with 1gb of ram, but the extra speed may come in handy.

Thanks for your help,
Good news! I found some information that may be helpful to you here. Unfortunately, nothing is listed about the cooling fans. I did find out that both the new 12" 1.33 GHz PB and the new 15" 1.33 GHz PB use a PowerPC 7447a, while the old 17" 1.33 GHz PB uses a PowerPC 7447.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 08:01 AM   #3
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

How do you plan on changing the multiplier/bus speed on your powerbook?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 08:27 AM   #4
w00tmaster
macrumors regular

When chips are manufactured, they are all targeted towards the hightest clock rating. However, because of imperfections on the finished product some are rated at lower clock speeds. However, it could very well be that they can take an overclock, or are identical but there is a demand for lower clock speeds.
That being said, you probably won't see a very big difference between 1.33Ghz and 1.5Ghz unless you do some very CPU intensive work.
Is it really worth risking your powerbook for that? On a cheap PC, yeah, it's nice to over-clock, but if I end up frying my cpu/motherboard, I'm out $250, maybe $300 tops. It's a risk worth taking. However, you fry your powerbook and you are out a lot more than that. And it is very likely that overclocking will void your Apple warranty.
In conclusion, it's very well possible, but I wouldn't do it if I were you.
w00tmaster is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion