Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
Hello,

Just a thought at dinner tonight, is the processor in my 1.33ghz PB, the same as the 1.5ghz? If so, are the cooling fans the same? If these two points are satisfied, would it be hard to over-clock the cpu to 1.5ghz? The computer is not slow by any means, with 1gb of ram, but the extra speed may come in handy.

Thanks for your help,

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
paxtonandrew said:
Hello,

Just a thought at dinner tonight, is the processor in my 1.33ghz PB, the same as the 1.5ghz? If so, are the cooling fans the same? If these two points are satisfied, would it be hard to over-clock the cpu to 1.5ghz? The computer is not slow by any means, with 1gb of ram, but the extra speed may come in handy.

Thanks for your help,

Good news! I found some information that may be helpful to you here. Unfortunately, nothing is listed about the cooling fans. I did find out that both the new 12" 1.33 GHz PB and the new 15" 1.33 GHz PB use a PowerPC 7447a, while the old 17" 1.33 GHz PB uses a PowerPC 7447.

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2004
When chips are manufactured, they are all targeted towards the hightest clock rating. However, because of imperfections on the finished product some are rated at lower clock speeds. However, it could very well be that they can take an overclock, or are identical but there is a demand for lower clock speeds.
That being said, you probably won't see a very big difference between 1.33Ghz and 1.5Ghz unless you do some very CPU intensive work.
Is it really worth risking your powerbook for that? On a cheap PC, yeah, it's nice to over-clock, but if I end up frying my cpu/motherboard, I'm out $250, maybe $300 tops. It's a risk worth taking. However, you fry your powerbook and you are out a lot more than that. And it is very likely that overclocking will void your Apple warranty.
In conclusion, it's very well possible, but I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.