Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freeskier130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
So, I've been holding off on upgrading to windows 7 and snow leopard because everything is working fine right now. With Christmas approaching and the $30 win7 student deal, I figured I should begin planning on an upgrade.

I have a legal copy of Vista Home Premium on my macbook pro. I would be purchasing the win7 home premium upgrade disk.

My question is, Can I upgrade my OS from within the vista partition so that I don't have to do a clean install? I've heard that bootcamp 3.0 was more compatible with win7 so I would install snow leopard on my osx partition first and upgrade the drivers.

Thanks in advance

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
My question is, Can I upgrade my OS from within the vista partition so that I don't have to do a clean install? I've heard that bootcamp 3.0 was more compatible with win7 so I would install snow leopard on my osx partition first and upgrade the drivers.
As long as you stick with the same version you can do an in-place upgrade. 32 bit->32 bit or 64-> 64 bit. If you want 32 bit -> 64 bit you need a clean/custom install.

Alo, you can use the drivers from Boot Camp 3.0 /SL without upgrading OS X. Boot Camp Assistant is not needed and the firmware/EFI/BIOS bit remains the same. The Windows drivers are independent.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.