Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhmm

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2009
México
Just wanted to know the price difference in various countries when compared with the US store.

I was recently considering buying a Mac Mini for my parents as a thank you gift for paying my university and found out the extremely higher prices the Mexican Apple Stores have.

I was looking to buy the 2.53 Mini priced at $799 in the American store and the price in the Mexican EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT store is 12,489 pesos which amount to 987.817455 U.S. dollars, without the discount, the price goes up to $1067 USD!

That's $268 USD more than the equivalent in the US! I realize that the currency rates may have fluctuated from when the Minis were updated but that wasn't that long ago.

This is why I won't be able to surprise the old folks with a Mac until I make a trip to the US, which won't be for Christmas.

So what's your country's Apple woes?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
This has been documented before, but, not exclusive to Apple, most things are priced pretty cheaply in the U.S. Hence why Europeans come to America to go shopping.

Mhmm

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2009
México
The truth is I can't really see the justification for these prices... It's not like the transport and border fees are that elevated that would raise the price of every machine that much. We are literally 2 hours away from the border.

Sofiux

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
The prices in Ukraine are 2x higher than in USA, we need to go to US to buy some apple products :( and we lose the warranty - as in UA we don't have any apple stores :( and they ignore us with the iPhones! heh, sad...

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
The prices in Ukraine are 2x higher than in USA, we need to go to US to buy some apple products :( and we lose the warranty - as in UA we don't have any apple stores :( and they ignore us with the iPhones! heh, sad...

Macs have worldwide 1 year warranty. You don't need an Apple Store, you can bring it to an Apple authorized service center. iPhones are a different story.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
Has anyone tested the European 2 year warranty rule?

My problem is with Apple warranties. Quote. "Le fait est qu’une garantie de deux ans s’applique à la vente de tous les biens de consommation partout dans l’UE (directive 1999/44/CE). Dans certains pays, ce peut même être davantage, et certains fabricants choisissent également d’offrir une plus longue période de garantie.The fact is that a two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU (Directive 1999/44/EC). In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period."

Seeing as this is the law how can Apple refuse to honour it?

As for the OP's main thrust. You're absolutely right but with "whatever the market will bear" philosophy and willing Apple fanatics they charge whatever they like. Corporations are getting bigger and Governments are letting them.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
The fact is that a two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU (Directive 1999/44/EC). In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period."

Seeing as this is the law how can Apple refuse to honour it?

You could call them out on this, but by the time you got a court to enforce the law your second year would be up.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
True. Unlike most contributors here I've found Apple impossible to deal with. Once I had to take 9 days off work in a row because they kept breaking their promise to collect and repair my laptop (infamous G3) I knew where their depot was but I couldn't take it directly. Not even when the depot lost the official box it had to be returned in. I had to wait for another box to be sent (from Ireland I think it was.) Luckily, the courier company found the box because if not it would have been longer still. You all know how important our computers are to us and I bet we can all imagine how I felt losing my holidays just to wait for the ring of a bell that didn't come for 9 days! So no I don't fancy taking them on re 2 years warranty!:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.