Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I'm sure this has been talked about before but it just became more obvious to me in the last month. When I was down at MacWorld in Boston there was this company called Wheel, and it was similar to .Mac but A LOT cheaper and they gave you much more space. It was $40 a year and you got something like 3 GB's of space for e-mail and 500 mb or space for sharing stuff online. I think you also got more then just one e-mail account if you wanted.

I love my .Mac account and it has become a intregral part of my life, but with other companies like that above coming out and out doing Apple, it makes it tough to keep paying for my .Mac account. Apple is supposed to be on the cutting edge of technology, I just feel like the size of a .Mac account is getting outdated. A couple of years ago 15mb or mail and 100 mb of space was plenty but now with people taking more pictures and sharing videos, that space fills up very quickly. I don't want to have to remove photos or delete e-mails that have built up over the last couple of years. I know I can buy more space but there has to be some point were they realize that what they are giving it not enough. Remember when a 10 GB harddrive seemed like a lot of space? Now there are apps that are over a GB themselves. They need to keep up with the "digital life" that they created. :)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
why are you telling us? :)
Go bitch at Apple. I totally agree with you, but if i bitch in forums, Apple's never going to really realize how dissatisfied people are with some portions of the .mac service.
Personally, the only complaint I have is with the 15mb email (i'd use my gmail account, but its a hassle to move all the email I already have) and how iDisk uses webdav...but if i bitched about it here, nobody who would really make a difference would read :(

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac/tm.html

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I'm a .mac subscriber, I emailed apple on the .mac email space issue a couple times. I was emailed back with instructions on how to pay for more space. They didn't seem to enthused to increase space like they should.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....you are right - this has been brought up before....more than a few times. I think most people seem to feel that Apple will be announcing more .mac enhancements (like more space) soon, like perhaps at the Paris Expo...which sort of makes sense - new iMac = consumer computer....mac = consumer service...oh yeah!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I agree with Duff-man. It's coming up on the second anniversary of .mac; it's definitely due for some enhancements. If not, early adopters like me, whose subscription is about to expire, may go elsewhere.

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
I agree that the comparative value of .Mac has declined. I've found the customized sites scheme clunky, and after so many years the photo album templates should be more customizable than they are. .Mac should work at least as well as something like, say, Typepad.

I assume we'll see some improvements within a month or so. If not, the renewal season is going to be mighty challenging.

TitaniumX2

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
St.L., MO
FYI Wheel is the system designed by and for Spymac.com, is meant to compete and beat .Mac and try to leverage everything .Mac can (I spoke with several of the developers of Wheel, and it's definitely interesting)

mac_gal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
Agreed. Wasn't there a rumor report a few weeks ago about .mac getting a new barcode / packaging, thus implying new features on the way?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
TitaniumX2 said:
FYI Wheel is the system designed by and for Spymac.com, is meant to compete and beat .Mac and try to leverage everything .Mac can (I spoke with several of the developers of Wheel, and it's definitely interesting)
if theres one thing i hate more than .mac's lack of services, its how Spymac has turned from a semidecent Mac community (note semidecent, not decent...its not that great...never has been, never will be) into a company more interested in making money. Groan.
And if there's one thing Spymac cant give to its subscribers, its the @mac.com email address ;)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I love my @mac.com address

I know exactly what you mean, and I also love the way it sync's with everything else on my mac (i.e., iPhoto, iMovie, iDisk). I would hate to give up these conveniences. But $99 a year (plus tax) is starting to sound a little steep with how technology has changed in the last few years and the price of harddrive space.

......And on a side note: I did send a message to apple about this topic, but just wanted to see if there were other people feeling the same way. Sometimes it just feels good to say something and have people agree with you, not a very big Mac community here in Vermont ( except for SmallDog! They are great!). :)

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
I wasn't going to renew dotMac until they offered me that gift certificate for the Apple Store. Since I was buying something from the Apple Store anyway, it essentially dropped the price 20 bucks, and I thought that was fair.

As long as that scheme is working for them, we probably won't see much change.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Well, I dropped .Mac for my gmail account. Sorry Apple, 15MB is not worth $99/year. (yes, you get much more, but I've since learned how to do these extras on my own).

.Mac will be in serious trouble real quick if Apple doesn't dramatically increase the storage space. :rolleyes:

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Dr. Dastardly said:
Arghhhh! I Don't know why they would offer 3 gb of email and 500mb of disk space. Call me crazy but wouldn't it be more useful the other way around. Really, 3gb of spam is rather much. ;)
Well, your sarcasm is noted, but having close to infinite storage, and the ability to send/receive 10MB attachments is becoming an expected feature of email this day in age. 15MB storage is simply outdated. Apple knows this (i.e. 40gb iPods), however, they still charge $99 for .Mac. Surely, they have a plan to infinitely increase .Mac's email, right? :confused:

I personally could care less, however...gmail is wonderful.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
wwooden said:
I'm sure this has been talked about before but it just became more obvious to me in the last month. When I was down at MacWorld in Boston there was this company called Wheel, and it was similar to .Mac but A LOT cheaper and they gave you much more space. It was $40 a year and you got something like 3 GB's of space for e-mail and 500 mb or space for sharing stuff online. I think you also got more then just one e-mail account if you wanted.

I love my .Mac account and it has become a intregral part of my life, but with other companies like that above coming out and out doing Apple, it makes it tough to keep paying for my .Mac account. Apple is supposed to be on the cutting edge of technology, I just feel like the size of a .Mac account is getting outdated. A couple of years ago 15mb or mail and 100 mb of space was plenty but now with people taking more pictures and sharing videos, that space fills up very quickly. I don't want to have to remove photos or delete e-mails that have built up over the last couple of years. I know I can buy more space but there has to be some point were they realize that what they are giving it not enough. Remember when a 10 GB harddrive seemed like a lot of space? Now there are apps that are over a GB themselves. They need to keep up with the "digital life" that they created. :)
The wheel is by spymac. FYI.

stoid

macrumors 601
You would think that with Apple being the producer of "the most economic and efficient business class storage system on the planet" a.k.a. XServe, that they could go ahead and open up more storage opportunities to their paying customers. I would really like to have a @mac.com e-mail address, but I'm NOT paying $100 for e-mail (I have a PowerBook, so my digital life is already more portable than dotMac allows). And I'm NOT paying for crappy tiny e-mail account. I would be willing to pay $15-25 a year for a @mac.com e-mail address with 500+MB of e-mail storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.