Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I want an external mouse for my new powerbook. I'm debating wether to get a USB or bluetooth. If I get a bluetooth which one would you recommened. What about a USB. I want a 2 button with a scroll wheel.
Thanks

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
puckhead193 said:
I want an external mouse for my new powerbook. I'm debating wether to get a USB or bluetooth. If I get a bluetooth which one would you recommened. What about a USB. I want a 2 button with a scroll wheel.
Thanks

Logitech bluetooth mouse, no question (if you're right handed). It matches the PowerBook color, battery life lasts a very long time, and it has enough buttons to use expose with it. My best friend uses it with his 17" PowerBook, and it made me very upset I didn't get bluetooth with my iBook. I can't imagine using a wired mouse with a laptop.

The next computer I get will have bluetooth just so I can use a bluetooth mouse.

lasuther

G4Grover

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
I have an Apple BT mouse for my PB and I hate the fact that it doesn't discover it very quickly (or at all sometimes) when I come back to my desk.

More times that not, I have to go to the BT menu and discover new device all over again.

My BT keyboard works much better in this area...

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
I have been debating as you on what BT mouse to get for my powerbook, I want 2 buttons and a scroll wheel as well. However the apple BT mouse is the only one which has an off switch over the laser. For me the mouse would be in my back alot being bumped around and stuff, therefore if I bought one without an off switch it would more then likely stay on from getting bumped around all day. I will more then likely pick up the apple one, one of these days.

And for all the people who say just put a piece of black electric tape over the laser when its not in use, that is ridiculous and looks stupid as hell, especially when pulling it out with a nice new PowerBook.

fred_garvin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
A simple cord doesn't bother me. I'd prefer to not drain the laptop battery faster, or worry about my mouse running out of power.

The Logitech MX510 is nice. Higher res optical tracking, plenty of buttons, small, $50.

iBert

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
wireless without bluetooth

you don't really need a bluetooth mouse to go wireless. I have a logitech mouse that is RF. Pretty cool. Unless you want to use bluetooth for something else go for it. But if you are considering a bluetooth mouse because it's wireless, I'll say your going about it wrong. Check must mouse that are wireless sometimes even if they are in the PC section of the store on the box you'll see they support Mac also. Mostly check logitech, they are the only company (or most of their mouses) support both PC and Mac. This is what I have

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
I asked this on another thread, but perhaps this one is more appripriate. This may be a silly question, but can you use a wireless mouse on an airplane? I know that no devices that transmit or recieve signals are to be used, and I would think that Bluetooth qualifies. Has anyone considered this, or had any flight attendants comment on their wireless mouse?

Aaron

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
I think you can use one. Heck, I've used wireless devices like that. As a matter of fact, I was playing Starcraft via wireless adHoc on a recent flight. As long as it's not during landing/takeoff, they don't seem to care/notice two-way communications devices.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
fred_garvin said:
A simple cord doesn't bother me. I'd prefer to not drain the laptop battery faster, or worry about my mouse running out of power.

The Logitech MX510 is nice. Higher res optical tracking, plenty of buttons, small, $50.

same here.......i don't find any prob. in using a wired mouse........i too have the logitech mx510 it's a great mouse!..i wanted the MX500 (because it matches my powerbook, but the ran out at the store, so....the 510 was it....but it's a beutiful mouse!.....i love it! :D

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I have the Logitech BT MX900, works perfect with my powerbook.. With the additional buttons set to exposé its a dream! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• mx900.jpg
    mx900.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 196

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
Joeytpg said:
same here.......i don't find any prob. in using a wired mouse........i too have the logitech mx510 it's a great mouse!..i wanted the MX500 (because it matches my powerbook, but the ran out at the store, so....the 510 was it....but it's a beutiful mouse!.....i love it! :D

I ened up getting the 510, its cheeper then the mx900 gotta save up for "food" money at college so the extra 50 bucks will come in handy. I got it in blue, what about you? So far the mouse is great, its so smooth and the cord doesn't bother me at all.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
take advantage of the bluetooth in your PB. i have the mx900 and love not having the extra wires to tangle up. I just wish logitech would release a driver for it.....

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
Aaon said:
I know that no devices that transmit or recieve signals are to be used, and I would think that Bluetooth qualifies. Has anyone considered this, or had any flight attendants comment on their wireless mouse?

I'm fairly sure bluetooth qualifies. I've never been bothered by an attendant because I don't use the mouse on planes, not enough room on that little tray.... But it most definately sends out a signal. Better keep it packed up.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I'm using a plain ole apple bt mouse with 12" pb with zero problems, in my 2nd month. granted it's not a multibutton bute, but has been rock solid.

12'pb 1.33ghz 768ram

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
I find it suprising that G4Grover mentioned the Apple BT mouse isn't discovered quickly. I have the MX900 (which isn't even technically supported) but I have had zero problems with it being discovered via the built in Bluetooth.

Bonnie

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2004
I'm with lucarelli. I can't believe nobody mentioned the Radtech BT 500. That mouse is great and has gotten glowing reviews across the board. It is SO small too which is great for portability.

The small size, bluetooth, two buttons and scroll wheel give it pretty much all the desired features in a mouse for a laptop.

You can see it at http://www.radtech.us.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Aaon said:
I asked this on another thread, but perhaps this one is more appripriate. This may be a silly question, but can you use a wireless mouse on an airplane? I know that no devices that transmit or recieve signals are to be used, and I would think that Bluetooth qualifies. Has anyone considered this, or had any flight attendants comment on their wireless mouse?

Aaron

The airlines (and I suspect the FAA) requires anyone using a laptop with wireless capabilities to disable the wireless. They never specifically mention Bluetooth, but I always turn it off, as well.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
BT-500

I use a Bluetooth 2-button, scroll-wheel mouse from Rad-Tech. It's the BT-500. The little thing is TINY and the scroll wheel is expose compitible. Very cool. Battery lasts about a week with heavy use. Turns itself off when idle AND their customer service is awesome. http://www.radtech.com

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
I read somewhere ( I think it was Mac world magazine) that Bluetooth can interfere with your WiFi connection. Has anyone experienced this?

Bonnie

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2004
FelixDerKater said:
It would be nice if that Radtech mouse were not so stinking ugly.

The BT-500 does look a bit ugly in white, but the other colors are great. I've seen it in person in dark blue and it was hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.