Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Since all the music sold through iTunes store is drm free nowadays, why does Apple still use encrypted file structure on iPod? So we can't manually put in music without iTunes?

I'm a Mac user but a friend of mine who uses Linux cannot buy an iPod simply because syncing is impossible with newer models on Linux, which seems pretty weird to me that Apple is basically not selling iPods to Linux users.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Just because the music is drm free dosnt mean apple has to provide a drag and drop fs for the iPod. Tbh all my mates that use Linux run winxp for iTunes without issues.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Just because the music is drm free dosnt mean apple has to provide a drag and drop fs for the iPod. Tbh all my mates that use Linux run winxp for iTunes without issues.

Do you know why Apple does not provide a drag and drop method though? Is it maybe because of file system differences between OS's? I mean if iPod could be used as a USB harddisk when it comes to copying music, is there a universal file system which would enable read/write on all OS's?

archre

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
Do you know why Apple does not provide a drag and drop method though? Is it maybe because of file system differences between OS's? I mean if iPod could be used as a USB harddisk when it comes to copying music, is there a universal file system which would enable read/write on all OS's?

Yes, FAT32 for example. Also I think OSX should be able to read and write NTFS by now (Linux can do it).

There's absolutely no technical reason for Apple not to support drag&drop to organize the music. The reason is that they want to FORCE people to use their crappy iTunes software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.