Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Hey first off sorry if this is asked a million times, also sorry if its the wrong place.

Im selling my White 2008 i think it is, macbook for £400 at xmas.

Then using that money with savings to buy a 15" MBP in December probably

Is this ok as new ones are roumered for Jan but are they really worth waiting for or should i just go with a new one now.

Thanks for any help i dont really know a lot about the updates in MBP's so thought id ask for some help.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hey first off sorry if this is asked a million times, also sorry if its the wrong place.
It is so searching would have been what you should have done - this is being asked daily and its been talked to death.

If you need one now, buy one now, if you can wait then wait.

MrBrekke

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Norway
If you need it now then buy it i bought mine 13" just 2 months ago and i am super happy with it. it does what i need (almost) just need 8 GB of ram (running a lot of WMs)

If you can wait and you would benefit from hopefully (better GPU ATI i hope) and more CPU power.

There will most likely not be any design changes to the body itself.

in the end it it up to you and what your needs are and what you would be happy with.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
It depends. It would be sad to be without a computer, unless you have another one to use in the meantime.

You could wait, but remember, it could always be a bit longer than you expected.

Furthermore, if iMacs are anything to go by, not all the new MBPs will have 4 cores. So if you're going for one of the nice models on the lower end, it might still be a Core 2 Duo, who knows, after the update. If that was the case, performance increase over current models would be marginal.

There are so many factors. We just don't have much information to go on until the machines come out. Good luck in your decision.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The entire MBP line is due for an update so you'd be buying yours close to the end of the product cycle--which is bad. The exact date of a revision is not known however.

The best thing for you to do is hold onto your macbook and wait--you'll get more value for your money purchasing a computer right after its updated. This next update will be more significant than most.

officepet

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Why January? If you need a new computer now, then go get one, you will not be disappointed no matter if it's a Core 2 Duo or a Quad Core. But if a Quad Core MBP is coming in Jan, you better wait, but nobody knows if it's Jan or June. If it isn't out in Jan, you'll wait 'till Feb, then March I suppose? ;)

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
If you can get a significant discount (holiday sales, or whatnot) on a current 15", then you might have good reason to buy now depending on your needs. I too was planning on holding out until the next MBP refresh, until my school decided to have a sale on their Apple stock. I left the store with a 13" 2.26 GHz MBP with 3 years AppleCare for $1152 USD. Is this 13" nearing the end of a product cycle? Sure, but for my needs, it is more than adequate, and for the extended price, it was hard for me to refuse.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I don't understand why people are saying "if you need it." Obviously if he needed it he would have gotten it already and not bothered to even post the question.

Honestly, at this point, just wait it out. Come January, you'll be happy you did. Sure, there are some good sales/deals going on right now, but they're on "outdated" tech. You'd actually be getting a better deal by waiting for the updates.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't understand why people are saying "if you need it." Obviously if he needed it he would have gotten it already and not bothered to even post the question.

people buy all sorts of crap without needing it. There is a huge difference between wanting a new computer and needing a new computer. Just because he arrived at a decision point to purchase a new computer in no way infers a need.

I've purchased plenty of computers w/o needing a new one, but I had the funds and I wanted it (times have changed - I'm poor ;) )

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
yeah i dont need it as i have a macbbok but i want to upgrade, i have a desktop i use mostly but need more power from my laptop, only reason i ask if i should buy now is because i have a buyer for my macbook for £400 so can get a new pro easily and if the jan updates take a while or arent as good as expected i would have wasted unnecesary time

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
if you have a desktop that you use most of the time, then I'd recommend waiting till the new versions come out and then buy the prior version (the now current version) for cheap (relatively) money

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
I'm in the same shoes you are. But I'm willing to wait it out just because it's at the end of this year's quarter. There should be fresh products within the first two quarters, but this is just my 2 cents. ^_^

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA

Im selling my White 2008 i think it is, macbook for £400 at xmas.

Then using that money with savings to buy a 15" MBP in December probably

Is this ok as new ones are roumered for Jan but are they really worth waiting for or should i just go with a new one now.

Thanks for any help i dont really know a lot about the updates in MBP's so thought id ask for some help.

The inevitable models replacing the current June-17" may be 1920x1080 (instead of 1920x1200) and use a GT130 (which is a rebranded 9600M). It sounds like the SATA-1.5 issue was for 13 and 15" MBPs, so that will likely be fixed.

Dunno. i just bought the June-17" model, having sold the 15" early-09 model. (When finding out the color gamut on the 17" model is 60% wider, as a professional photographer, it's worth it. Not to mention, the 15" was 1440x900. 1920x1080 is pretty naff when you consider the extra vertical space 1920x1200 offers...)

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
people buy all sorts of crap without needing it. There is a huge difference between wanting a new computer and needing a new computer. Just because he arrived at a decision point to purchase a new computer in no way infers a need.

I've purchased plenty of computers w/o needing a new one, but I had the funds and I wanted it (times have changed - I'm poor ;) )

I think you misunderstood. People were saying "if you need it, buy it." Need would imply he needs it for work or something, now. ASAP. Not as in "Dayum that Aston Martin is totally boss, I need that in my garage."

If he needed a new notebook, he would have bought it already and not even bothered asking us this question. What he wants to know is when to buy it (now or wait). And yes OP, you should wait. The refresh is like a month away anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.