Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scorched X

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
My powerbook has started making a weird squeeling noise around the 5 key (approximately). It's sounds like interference, and it's loudest when I have the AC adapter plugged in, which makes the processor run at highest. And when I put it to sleep, it changes to a high pitch ringing noise.

It's a 15" Aluminum Powerbook.

It could be the fan inside the PB, its in that general area, and with the AC adapter plugged in it would cause the computer to run faster thus hotter, so it require the fan to be on more, so I guess either your fan is scraping something inside. Or your fan unit is defective.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Actually, a high pitched squeak is normal in all powerbooks. Check out this thread to make sure it is not the noise you are describing. You can also try a search, as the issue of powerbooks and weird noises has been brought many times befoe.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Some noise is 'normal'. That said, its never fun to have a noise. I think the fan is the cause of this noise, as it was in the case of my Wife's powerbook.

We had Applecare and they replaced the fan and no more LOUD noise. There is still a power supply like noise when plugged in, as the other user reported.

The problem is if the fan is slow or defective, your powerbook could overheat and become damaged.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
While I agree that a damage fan is an issue that should be taken seriously, I really don't think that is the case here. The way Scorched X describes the sound as a "squeeling noise" and that the noise is at it's loudest when the processor is running at the highest speed, leads me to beleive what is being heard is the typical powerbook noise. People often report that setting the processor speed to highest increases the frequency of the squeak, and that setting it to automatic instead helps minimize the noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.