Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:36 PM   #1
agr5
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Powerbook CPU Maxed out when viewing Youtube

Hi all,

I just upgraded my powerbook 1.5ghz g4 to 2 gb of ram. It runs multiply applications fine now. The only thing that I'm still disappointed with is when I am viewing videos on youtube or elsewhere my CPU maxes out and the video is all chopping.

I know it's old (6 years!) and I need a new computer (which I'm thinking of getting the 27" iMac i5) but I feel as if it should be able to view videos on youtube without being chopping and maxing out the CPU...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do (other than buying a new one)?


Thanks!
agr5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:40 PM   #2
apfhex
macrumors 68030
 
apfhex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern California
No, unfortunately, Flash just sucks and uses too much CPU. You could try using Click2flash, which has a setting to view Youtube videos as H.264 (so they load with the Quicktime plugin instead).
__________________
2006 Mac Pro 2.66Ghz, 6GB RAM, 8800GT, 23" ACD, Lion
Verizon iPhone 4 16GB ; White iPad 3 16GB
apfhex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Sun Baked
macrumors G5
 
Sun Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Not the computer, flash sucks on all the Macs.

Blame Adobe for simply porting the app, and doing only the minimum needed to get it to work ... thus it likely is wasting CPU cycles.
__________________
If you are the type of person who solves all their problems with a hammer, because it is the only tool in your toolbox. It would be wise of you to never get in an argument with a gunsmith.
Sun Baked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:50 PM   #4
agr5
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Baked View Post
Not the computer, flash sucks on all the Macs.

Blame Adobe for simply porting the app, and doing only the minimum needed to get it to work ... thus it likely is wasting CPU cycles.
So you're telling me that if I get a new iMac i5 that playing flash videos/games will still be a problem??
agr5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Sun Baked
macrumors G5
 
Sun Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by agr5 View Post
So you're telling me that if I get a new iMac i5 that playing flash videos/games will still be a problem??
It'll play, but you might still be complaining about Flash pegging your CPU at 40% or more.

Look around, some people still have problems even with the newer machine.

Though you can likely run Explorer or a Windows browser in WINE if you really care about flash FPS.

---

Though OS 10.6.2 seems to have fixed some issues that made the new Quads operate as slow as your PPC machine.
__________________
If you are the type of person who solves all their problems with a hammer, because it is the only tool in your toolbox. It would be wise of you to never get in an argument with a gunsmith.
Sun Baked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:49 PM   #6
agr5
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Baked View Post
It'll play, but you might still be complaining about Flash pegging your CPU at 40% or more.

Look around, some people still have problems even with the newer machine.

Though you can likely run Explorer or a Windows browser in WINE if you really care about flash FPS.

---

Though OS 10.6.2 seems to have fixed some issues that made the new Quads operate as slow as your PPC machine.
Well thats good I suppose... Thanks for the reply.
agr5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:54 PM   #7
cluthz
macrumors 68040
 
cluthz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Norway
Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Quote:
Originally Posted by agr5 View Post
So you're telling me that if I get a new iMac i5 that playing flash videos/games will still be a problem??
No, but flash uses more CPU power than it should!

When I view youtube HD content my MBP uses from 40-65% CPU power!

Then again the MBPs are at least 3-4 times faster than the fastest powerbook made
__________________
-tb
MacBook Air 13" i5 osx10.7.5
HackPro i7-4790k, 16GB RAM, GTX780GHz Edition, 3x SSD , win7+osx10.9.4
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:04 PM   #8
WotanAgain
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
What version of flash are you using?

I'm betting it's years out of date and that you've never updated it. Go download the latest 10.x version. You're probably using 9.x which is really really horrible. The 10.x, while it still uses more CPU than it should, is not nearly as bad as 9.x was.
WotanAgain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:12 PM   #9
agr5
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WotanAgain View Post
What version of flash are you using?

I'm betting it's years out of date and that you've never updated it. Go download the latest 10.x version. You're probably using 9.x which is really really horrible. The 10.x, while it still uses more CPU than it should, is not nearly as bad as 9.x was.
Thanks, I'll check if it is up to date...
agr5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:18 PM   #10
m85476585
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
You can try Flash 10.1 beta, if it supports PPC. (it looks like it doesn't)

Flash sucks!
__________________
Matt
m85476585 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:54 PM   #11
agr5
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
You can try Flash 10.1 beta, if it supports PPC. (it looks like it doesn't)

Flash sucks!
Yeah it does suck...and yeah the beta is only for intel macs. I did upgrade to Flash 10.something and I'm using click to flash. It does seem to make a difference.
agr5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:43 PM   #12
1creator
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I'm on a 13inch late 2009 MBP and the flash manages to suck more than 100% CPU and within seconds my CPU temp shoots up and the fans kick in. This isn't normal, I get that flash sucks, but more than 100%?
__________________
13.3" MBP, 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD ; 16 GB iPod Touch 1st gen
1creator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:48 PM   #13
m85476585
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1creator View Post
I'm on a 13inch late 2009 MBP and the flash manages to suck more than 100% CPU and within seconds my CPU temp shoots up and the fans kick in. This isn't normal, I get that flash sucks, but more than 100%?
That's pretty much normal for Flash on macs, I think. Mine uses just over 100% watching an HD video on Youtube with Flash 10.1.
__________________
Matt
m85476585 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:04 AM   #14
mofunk
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Americas
I have a PB G4 1.25Ghz 512 RAM and it's fine. I did install Flash 10.0 too. I did a clean install of it. The only time I find it choppy is when my internet connect is slow.
mofunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:11 AM   #15
PMB
macrumors 65816
 
PMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
if you still have issues, this may help
http://www.youtube.com/feather_beta
__________________
Week 40 iPod touch,
Alienware Aurura, triboot, 7, Ubuntu, OSX.
Atom powered Server.
PMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with YouTube viewing size on rMBP 15" leftywamumonkey MacBook Pro 4 Oct 25, 2013 07:31 PM
Disable 'YouTube App' popup when viewing on web? peanutismint iOS 5 and earlier 2 Jul 13, 2013 12:33 PM
Anyone ever maxed the CPU ? iphonehype MacBook Pro 5 May 7, 2013 11:37 AM
Youtube mobile viewing? Big Stevie iPhone 2 Feb 22, 2013 05:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC