Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

5 1/2 month old Rev C. Just a rant....

Uggh...

So I picked this baby up on launch day of the iPhone 3GS. After about a week I noticed two dead pixels, but they didn't really bother me that much.

Fast forward to today and it seems like they are multiplying. I've got 6 dead pixels now that I can see. I guess that must speak to the quality of the display Apple decided to use. Since I've had it for so long I know there is nothing I can do, but it still frustrates me. I keep this thing immaculate. I even us a RadTech screen protector that sits on top of the keyboard when you close the lid to keep finger grease from touching the display. Hell, I also almost always wash my hands before using it too. I keep the outside clean.

Oh well. Just wanted to rant, and let all the MBA owners know that, if you have a few dead pixels on a Rev. C, they may end up multiplying like rabbits!!!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:07 PM   #2
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

Why don't you bring it into the Genius Bar - they'll swap out the Air with a new one or replace the display - even without Applecare
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:11 PM   #3
coast1ja
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post
Uggh...

So I picked this baby up on launch day of the iPhone 3GS. After about a week I noticed two dead pixels, but they didn't really bother me that much.

Fast forward to today and it seems like they are multiplying. I've got 6 dead pixels now that I can see. I guess that must speak to the quality of the display Apple decided to use. Since I've had it for so long I know there is nothing I can do, but it still frustrates me. I keep this thing immaculate. I even us a RadTech screen protector that sits on top of the keyboard when you close the lid to keep finger grease from touching the display. Hell, I also almost always wash my hands before using it too. I keep the outside clean.

Oh well. Just wanted to rant, and let all the MBA owners know that, if you have a few dead pixels on a Rev. C, they may end up multiplying like rabbits!!!
Have you called AppleCare about it???... if you've only had it for 5.5 months, you will still have the warranty on it. I am not sure how many pixels need to be out for them to replace the screen, but it's definitely worth a shot.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4
DazBrowne
macrumors member

Ye it should still be under warranty take that mo fo back !
Old Dec 9, 2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

Really?? Over some dead pixels?

I'll do some reading up on the dead pixel policy, but I didn't think I could do anything about it.

What if they take it and give me a refurbished machine??? I wouldn't want that. This thing has zero scratches, blemishes, etc... other than the dead pixels.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 04:16 PM   #6
Thunder82
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What if they take it and give me a refurbished machine??? I wouldn't want that. This thing has zero scratches, blemishes, etc... other than the dead pixels.
They'll replace your screen. Also, have you ever seen an Apple refurb product? I've never seen one that is anything less than 100% mint condition. 10$ says you couldn't tell the difference between it and a new unit.
Thunder82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Abyssgh0st
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Abyssgh0st
Quote:
Really?? Over some dead pixels?

I'll do some reading up on the dead pixel policy, but I didn't think I could do anything about it.

Dead pixel policy is 5+ and they'll do something.

And if you don't want a 'bad refurb,' ask them if they could just install a new screen instead of giving you a refurb; just tell them you're willing to wait.

Or, if you get a refurb, open it and inspect it RIGHT THERE before the Genius bids you adieu, then you can fault them for a bad product (aesthetically) if something is wrong.
Abyssgh0st is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air