Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viltgance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Good day to everybody. This is the first time I post on this forum and I hope you'll help me. :)

I recently bought a MBA but after some months the HD gave up. So I bought a generic Samsung HS082HB 1,8" zif HD to replace the broken HD. I thought I bought the right one but my MBA wasn't able to recognize the new HD. This new HD is a generic Samsung while the original was the one with the apple :)apple:) printed on the label. So I ask you: do I need the certified one or did I miss something in replacing the HD?

Many thanks to everyone! :eek:

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
I'll ask a silly question... After installing the new HD... did you restart the computer with the Original OS backup disk in while holding down the "C" key?... Hold on, I just re-read your post...you have an MBA. You'd need an external CD/DVD drive to install the OS on your new HD.

Viltgance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
I'll ask a silly question... After installing the new HD... did you restart the computer with the Original OS backup disk in while holding down the "C" key?... Hold on, I just re-read your post...you have an MBA. You'd need an external CD/DVD drive to install the OS on your new HD.

Yes, I did. I also used an external drive. I read several guides before doing this and I think I've done everything correctly but for some reason the installation procedure doesn't see my Samsung. I tried two of those new hard drives.

:mad:

Viltgance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
If you boot from the CD and then go to Utilities and then Disk Utility, does the hard drive show up on the left panel?

No, the Disk Utility shows no ATA HD in the machine, still the HD is fully connected (zif cable hooked and black stripe down, all cables connected). I also tried to format the HD using my Asus EEEPC 901 with Macdrive 8. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.