Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
Now, before I start. I do not intend to do what i am about to say if it can be proved possible. I also don't want anyone saying, 'just get a new mac' for this is an experiment.

Ok, so I know it is possible to take the superdrive out, which to me seems a bit of a gamble (because you never know when you will need it) in place for a second hdd/ssd.

What i would like to know is if, with the extra space, get an ide to sata converter and then hook a more powerful sata ssd as your boot up drive and use the intended hard drive space for a second hard drive for more storage.

I would like to know if you think this could work, or even if you have tried it yourself.

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009
From the site:

# OptiBay Bare Enclosure with IDE Hard Drive Interface requires a 2.5" IDE/PATA hard drive 9.5mm or less in height.
# OptiBay Bare Enclosure with SATA Hard Drive Interface requires a 2.5" SATA hard drive 9.5mm or less in height. Please note that this is not the same type of (IDE) hard drive required for this system's standard internal hard drive.

I assume this means that it does not do any conversion.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
I think that the optibay connects to your mac with a PATA cable. Yet it gives you the option to chose between a PATA (IDE) or SATA drive. I think in the long run, spending more fore the SATA version is more cost effective because you can put bigger, cheaper and faster drives in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.