Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellowbicycle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
My mission is to edit together a bunch of clips from soccer games.
Problem: Video recorded on Sony Handycam DCR-DVD 505(MINI-DVDS)
Camera DOES NOT have Firewire port, or RCA plugs
Camera only has USB port.
I edit with a Macbook that has firewire and USB.

So far I have tried:
1. plugging in camera via usb, mac does not recognize at all or react
2. using external dvd drive, put mini dvd in, window comes up asking what to open it with, but when i choose either IDVD or dvd player, does not allow import----MOST NOTABLY disc DOES NOT appear on desktop-not recognizing fully- have received messages that program doesn't support the disc type

I need help....is there an affordable $20-40 cable that can go from USB on camera into FIREWIRE port on computer? What other options do I have?
ps. i've already looked at older posts regarding this and tried some of the suggestions and they didn't work.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I've never used those mini-dvd camcorders, so I can't advise much relating to that.

As for a cable, they don't exist as they are two different technologies.

Just on the off chance, have you fired up iMovie? Does the camera get recognised with it then? When I plug my firewire camera in, nothing comes up on the desktop, so its all down to software as to what it sees.

The only thing I can suggest if that doesn't work is find someone who has a Mini-DV camera, hooking it upto your dvd player, put the dvd into a dvd player and play it whilst recording on the mini-dv camera. Just make sure the other camera has a firewire port!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
It seems fairly clear that you did not finalize your mini DVD. Once this is done, then you will be able to play the platter in any tray-loading DVD drive. However, the platter will no longer be writable.

baddseed

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
I had a another brand of DVD recording camera and I ended up finalizing the DVDs putting them in my mac and ripping the DVD at the best quality with Handbrake.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
On my Handicam, when I plug it into my MacBook Pro, I have to press a button on the camcorder that says "USB Connect"

After that iMovie will finally bring up the camera's contents and I can go from there.

yellowbicycle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
it worked~! finalized dvd

"It seems fairly clear that you did not finalize your mini DVD. Once this is done, then you will be able to play the platter in any tray-loading DVD drive. However, the platter will no longer be writable."

YES, DVD WAS NOT FINALIZED. Was able to use external drive to hook up to my mac, import with handbrake, and convert with aimersoft converter. Thanks for the help.

gsurplus

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
Using Sont DVD Camera with Imovie

Hello All and Happy New Year!

I have found out a very interesting thing. I have an old Sony VRD-VC20 External DVD unit. In just messing around I connected this unit via USB to my IMAC. Then I put one of the DVDs made by my camera ( DVD-405)into it. VOLIA, Mac came up and asked me if I wanted to start Imovie. Then Imovie acted as if I was importing a new event. Built the thumbnails. saved the event. Worked great. I do not know if it is the VC20 or just the external DVD drive. But this worked perfectly. before this I had to do all sorts of conversions etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.