Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:08 PM   #1
josephrgarza
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to josephrgarza
When I plug in the Power Supply MacBook Pro Shuts Down

Whenever I plug in my power supply to the macbook it shuts the computer down. Completely shuts it off.

However, if I just use the computer on battery power it works just fine.

I've already tried a different power supply (which works on other computers), I'm thinking its the power board? in the laptop that might have fried or is shorting somehow.

My warranty is up already.

Any ideas on what might be broken?

Disclosure: I spilled wine on this laptop almost a 8 months ago, I managed to dry it out, pretty much took apart the computer and let it sit for a week before starting it up and everything worked fine after that, and no problems since.

Thanks for reading
josephrgarza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Likely the power board is bad. You could also take a peek at the magsafe connector on the computer; it's possible the sockets in it have been melted or something metallic is stuck in there and shorting the pins on the connector together when you plug it in.

Assuming the connector looks ok, not much you can try other than taking it apart and looking for blown components on the circuit boards. If you can't find anything, replacing the power board/socket might help, but no guarantees and no way to be sure without trying.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:09 PM   #3
sparx22
macrumors newbie

Hi josephrgarza,

did you ever sort your problem out as I seem to be suffering from the same issue.
sparx22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help