Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I posted this in another thread but justit suggested I put a new one up for more visibility. For anyone who hasnt at least tried the BetterTouchTool, this thing is amazing and a MUST have for anyone with the Magic Mouse or a touchpad. The latest update has made this utility something I would actually pay for. The developer seems to put an update out constantly. The latest update added single finger taps with customizable sensitivity as well as the existing 2 finger swipe up and down and many others. The developer also includes a TON of customizable features.
Screenshot2009-12-11at104716PM.png

I havent even begun to explore all the different gestures. So my current layout is...

2 finger swipe up activates spaces
2 finger swipe down activates Expose
single finger tap left is volume down
single finger tap right is... you guessed it.... volume up
3 finger swipe left RW
3 finger right is FF (this one is tough to perform but works nonetheless)

Screenshot2009-12-11at105314PM.png

Gestures (some work better than others)
Screenshot2009-12-11at91905PM.png

Predefined actions (again, some better than others)
Screenshot2009-12-11at91923PM.png

Im still trying to get tipTap to work, maybe my single finger tap commands are interfering with it.

I highly recommend checking this utility out. It has made my workflow much more efficient. Especially the 2 finger swipe up and down, those seem easier for me to do than the 2 finger left and right. Anyway, there's my two cents, for what it's worth!

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
X2 million!

It really is fantastic. Glad you posted another thread. I was blown away by the difference. It's made a mouse that I was ok with into a mouse that I absolutely adore. It's free, so go get it!

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
It really is fantastic. Glad you posted another thread. I was blown away by the difference. It's made a mouse that I was ok with into a mouse that I absolutely adore. It's free, so go get it!

It has also helped me decide to get another Magic Mouse for my MBP. I was on the fence for a while but I think this pushed me over.

I absolutely love being able to activate Spaces and Expose like this. My work flow depends a lot on Spaces. I usually use the Hot corner upper right to activate Spaces. But when I got this new iMac I put my external monitor to the right of my iMac, so if I have that hooked up and I want to activate Spaces I have to go ALLLL the way over to the corner of the external monitor (unless Im doing something wrong). But now with BTT, I can just 2 finger swipe up and click into a space within seconds. LOVE IT!

Goldie009

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
This is a truly fantastic tool, however the only thing that annoys me about it is the single finger scrolling stops working for me. Is it something that I am doing wrong?

Also I tried the switch to logout screen action a minute or so ago however when it switched to the login screen, none of my passwords would work to let me login to ANY of my accounts. The shutdown buttons on the screen wouldnt let the machine shutdown either - I had to reset at the back. Has anyone else had this experience when switching to logout screen with the better touch tool? Or is it just me....

Thanks guys!!

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
This is a truly fantastic tool, however the only thing that annoys me about it is the single finger scrolling stops working for me. Is it something that I am doing wrong?

Also I tried the switch to logout screen action a minute or so ago however when it switched to the login screen, none of my passwords would work to let me login to ANY of my accounts. The shutdown buttons on the screen wouldnt let the machine shutdown either - I had to reset at the back. Has anyone else had this experience when switching to logout screen with the better touch tool? Or is it just me....

Thanks guys!!

whoah, weird. Well, it IS still in beta, you should let him know. I don't use it for logout. As for single-finger scrolling, there's an option to turn it off, under the "Mouse" settings. See if it's enabled.

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2007
I would actually like to be able to turn up the speed past what is available on this tool as well.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
whoah, weird. Well, it IS still in beta, you should let him know. I don't use it for logout. As for single-finger scrolling, there's an option to turn it off, under the "Mouse" settings. See if it's enabled.

Yeah, I think this would be your issue as well, my single finger scrolling works great still. I dont use the MM for logout either, so Im not sure about that one.

The more I use this tool the more I like it. I have 3 finger swipe left and right for FF and RW and loving it.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
For some reason I can't get this program to install properly. i7 iMac with all of the software updates.

It installs but the program won't open.

I want volume control on my MM.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
For some reason I can't get this program to install properly. i7 iMac with all of the software updates.

It installs but the program won't open.

I want volume control on my MM.

Maybe try a previous version, I think the developer keeps all of them available on his blog.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
What is the site for this? Ive done a few google searches but can only find some rapidshare downloads or other forums posts about the tool.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Maybe try a previous version, I think the developer keeps all of them available on his blog.

Which version did you use. I just tried 4.17 and it still won't work.

I hope that gets fixed soon, it looks like the kind of app that becomes indispensable.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
What is the site for this? Ive done a few google searches but can only find some rapidshare downloads or other forums posts about the tool.

http://blog.boastr.net/

He posts the downloads right under the version notes.

Which version did you use. I just tried 4.17 and it still won't work.

I hope that gets fixed soon, it looks like the kind of app that becomes indispensable.

Im using 419. Hmmm, weird you are having an issue though. Maybe post something to the blog I posted above, thats the devs site...he might know what to do.

Are you getting an error when trying to install it? Or does it install and not work right?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Once I download it, it asks me to copy it to the apps folder, which is pretty standard.

From there I open it, and basically nothing happens. I check the Preferences and there is no new functionality features for the MM.

So, I tried to move BTT to the trash and it won't because it says the program is open, but there is no program to be seen.

A restart allows me to trash BTT and try again with another version, but the results are similar.

I think I'm just going to bookmark the page and wait a while longer until a few more of the bugs are worked out. It's a great idea.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
I found that enabling two finger swipes up/down won't let you do a single finger scroll if one finger is already down.

Once I download it, it asks me to copy it to the apps folder, which is pretty standard.

From there I open it, and basically nothing happens. I check the Preferences and there is no new functionality features for the MM.

So, I tried to move BTT to the trash and it won't because it says the program is open, but there is no program to be seen.

A restart allows me to trash BTT and try again with another version, but the results are similar.

I think I'm just going to bookmark the page and wait a while longer until a few more of the bugs are worked out. It's a great idea.
Ctrl + Alt + Cmd + O opens the preferences. You have to set the features yourself. The default is nothing set.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I found that enabling two finger swipes up/down won't let you do a single finger scroll if one finger is already down.

Ctrl + Alt + Cmd + O opens the preferences. You have to set the features yourself. The default is nothing set.

No joy, I am going to try a restart, removing BTT, running Onyx and then I'll try reinstalling.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008

Mine never opened as an application, it appeared in the system tray, second icon from the left...
Screenshot2009-12-12at12711PM.png

From here I had to click on the system tray icon to get any options...

Screenshot2009-12-12at14154PM.png

You can also use this menu to update. The last update window said something like URL not found, but I clicked update anyway and it ended up working. Let us know if Onyx fixes this for you. I really want you to get this working, its invaluable to me now.

http://blog.boastr.net/

He posts the downloads right under the version notes.

Thanks!

Awesome -- thanks for posting this iMerlin!

Bryan

You guys are welcome!

It would be cool if everyone posted their configurations for BTT, might help some people see how useful it can be.

bdeitemeyer

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for enlightening me about this program, I just downloaded & installed it. I was seeking a way to increase the speed of the mouse (so I wouldn't have to lift it in order to scroll from the top of the screen to the bottom), and now it works just the way I want it to. :)

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Yeah, I was confused by its functionality at first as well - it does open in the menubar, to the right, by Airport, Time Machine, etc.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Mine never opened as an application, it appeared in the system tray, second icon from the left...
Screenshot2009-12-12at12711PM.png

From here I had to click on the system tray icon to get any options...

Screenshot2009-12-12at14154PM.png

You can also use this menu to update. The last update window said something like URL not found, but I clicked update anyway and it ended up working. Let us know if Onyx fixes this for you. I really want you to get this working, its invaluable to me now.

You guys are welcome!

It would be cool if everyone posted their configurations for BTT, might help some people see how useful it can be.

Thank you, I did the Onyx thing and found the icon in the top toolbar section. It works perfectly with the latest release as well.

Definitely enhances MM functionality.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
This thing is awesome, this effectively takes the MM far beyond anything Logitech has to offer.

Pinch Out = larger font size.
Pinch In = smaller font size
TipTap Left = Volume down.
TipTap Right = Volume up.
Two Finger Tap = Refresh Page.

I like to see what other shortcuts people are developing using this.

neonkru

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2009
This thing is awesome, this effectively takes the MM far beyond anything Logitech has to offer.

Pinch Out = larger font size.
Pinch In = smaller font size
TipTap Left = Volume down.
TipTap Right = Volume up.
Two Finger Tap = Refresh Page.

I like to see what other shortcuts people are developing using this.

that is not true. the logitech design is far much better for your hand health =)

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
that is not true. the logitech design is far much better for your hand health =)

You reached that conclusion how?

Personally I dont have any hand/wrist discomfort when using the Magic Mouse, but maybe thats just me. And I do a lot of detailed photoshop traces that require constant movement, I actually find the Magic Mouse more comfortable that my old Logitech. Granted my old Logitech wasnt the top end model.

Maybe its all about how you position your hand. I find that resting my palm on the desk and letting my pinky/ring fingers and thumb control the mouse has made it a very comfortable mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.