Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dems133

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Hey,

i am looking for a laptop a long time.
I decided to buy a beatiful MacBook (Pro)
in europe they are really expensive,
and i want to buy in US and ship it to europe
how can i buy a MacBook as cheap as possible?
Need advice!!

Thanks

ps: maybe someone could buy at macconnection.com and send it to me and i'll give you 50-70 dollar?

Dems133

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Oh sorry in dutch is it: Verenigde Staten
in english: united states : US

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
You'll end up paying a hefty sum in taxes... (your VAT + customs expenses). Unless it's really an awesome deal, get it 2nd hand in Europe.

Dems133

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
You'll end up paying a hefty sum in taxes... (your VAT + customs expenses). Unless it's really an awesome deal, get it 2nd hand in Europe.

your VAT + customs expenses, how much percent is that??

pol0001

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2008
London
If you are looking for a cheap MacBook, A-Mac.nl is currently having a sale for the Classic MacBook for € 799. They have locations in Utrecht, Amersfoort, Den Bosch and Eindhoven. Might be an option for you.

Dems133

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
799 for the old MacBook.
If someone could buy just at a Apple store it Will be 677, for the new one

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
your VAT + customs expenses, how much percent is that??

It depends. In Spain the VAT for computers is at 16% + about 10% in other customs expenses. In France the VAT is at 19,6%. I dunno about NL.
Also, you'll be paying this percentage on the price of the item AND the shipping costs.

For laptops, unless you've got a friend coming over from the US or some great 2nd hand deal, it's not worth it...

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
You need a friend in the US that is going to travel to the netherlands to buy it there and bring it to you (that way you don't pay taxes since the traveler can claim it was previously his). Otherwise, even if you somehow avoid paying taxes, it is pretty expensive to ship it over the atlantic.

Sorry mate, I'm afraid you're out of luck any other way.

And I agree, they are pretty expensive here in europe, ALMOST at a dollar per euro. I've always bought my macs in America (but I've lived there most of my life), and if I need an accesory, I wait till I travel back to visit and get it there.

Dems133

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
How does the custom house find out that I send a Macbook?
Do they turn out my packet?

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization

In most countries, the recipient has the obligation to legally declare what it is that they have just received, otherwise, the object is retained in customs and will not be shipped to the the address specified. Once again, law differs accross nations, so you should check yours.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Are they cheaper in the UK? I'm pretty sure you're allowed to buy it in the UK and ship to the Netherlands without tax - its part of the common market...

Legally of course you'd need to check that is allowed.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

Shipping companies (including the post office) will require the person sending the package to fill out a customs declaration when things are sent to another company

In addition to VAT to be paid to your country, there's sales tax in the USA plus the cost of shipping.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Given that the exchange rate is €1.1=£1, it looks like the MacBook Pro will be considerably cheaper to buy in the UK...

trees

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
Stop trying to game the system.

Look you can't game the system. There's this crazy thing called tax here in the United States that we pay on top of our purchases so prices seem lower and if you order it online you by law need to pay taxes as well However in your country the VAT is already added in, thus the seemingly discrepancy between the two countries in prices. Furthermore Apple does not peg prices to the currency or they would have to change daily, they peg prices on how much it costs to do business in your country. Now if you have a higher VAT + higher wages, etc for the employees in your country the product will cost more. If you bring it in without paying customs duty you are breaking some fairly serious laws. So it's not Apple being mean to you it's the cost of doing business elsewhere. So more dumb threads about how do I get it cheaper, you don't. You move to the US and pay less for your MAC and a higher cost of living for everything else or you pay your higher VAT and enjoy the benefits of that.

Hey,

i am looking for a laptop a long time.
I decided to buy a beatiful MacBook (Pro)
in europe they are really expensive,
and i want to buy in US and ship it to europe
how can i buy a MacBook as cheap as possible?
Need advice!!

Thanks

ps: maybe someone could buy at macconnection.com and send it to me and i'll give you 50-70 dollar?

peetah

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
I used to do this for several friends when I was working in Maastricht. I would fly home (US), buy their laptop, put it into my laptop bag (its a large beat up roller computer bag), and fly back to NL.

If you have a friend that's going to the US or going to NL, then have them do that. Otherwise, you will pay a lot of money in taxes when you ship it.

If *you* are flying to the US, bring a used (and beat up) empty laptop bag with you, put your new computer in there, and mail the receipt to your house.

Veel geluk.

Nano2k

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Europe
Furthermore Apple does not peg prices to the currency or they would have to change daily, they peg prices on how much it costs to do business in your country. Now if you have a higher VAT + higher wages, etc for the employees in your country the product will cost more.

Apple charges more for it's product in Europe (and most countries) because it wants to, not because Europeans make more money than Americans... Actually if you check purchasing power parity, dutch people have less buying power than Americans.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GNIPC.pdf

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
People don't realize that VAT is included in the price in EU whereas the sales tax (VAT) is not included in the US because it varies by state.

899 Euro MB in the Netherlands (19% VAT)= 755 euros without VAT
755 Euros = $1110 US.

$111 is not worth it when you consider shipping.

peetah

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
Dont buy a macbook from USA, the keyboard is American layout.

It doesn't matter if there's a US English layout... you can change out the keyboard so that the key caps are "correct". Or you can just change the keyboard layout in the preferences panel and memorize the "new" layout. Or change the keyboard layout and add stickers to the keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.