Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayo1971

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Nottingham
I'm having trouble docking my 3g to may new tom tom car kit. I've tried my friends iphone with it and they work just fine. So i can only conclude that its my docking connector as i managed to get it to work one time only and that was to pair it to my 3G.

Any helpful hints or tips would be great. Otherwise.... anyone want to buy it:D:D:D

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I use alcohol pad on the connector to get rid of grime and oxidation. to clean the general dust and things that sneak their way in there I use a broken wood q-tip handle (Im a nurse so I have access, you could do the same with a broken tooth pick.) Good luck.

smartdog126

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
if i understand correctly you can take a compressed air bottle and spray some air in there (thats what im going to do)

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
if i understand correctly you can take a compressed air bottle and spray some air in there (thats what im going to do)

I thought about doing this myself but i think you run a very high risk of just blowing dust past the dock and under the screen :eek:

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
I thought about doing this myself but i think you run a very high risk of just blowing dust past the dock and under the screen :eek:

Your fears are based on what ?

I wouldn't clean any electronics with anything but the approved cleaning tools

Most computer techs know that you either clean with either an electronic contact cleaner ( removed oils, dries 100%) you can buy the pens @ Frys

Or compressed air ( keep the bottle vertically and only use short bursts of air to avoid the air getting too cold and causing condensation)

I don't recommend sticking anything in there. The hairs on the brush could get stuck on the small pins

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.