Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:04 PM   #1
syst.m
macrumors newbie

Powerbook G4 17-inch Battery Replacement

Can anyone recommend a 17-inch battery replacement for a Powerbook G4? I would like to spend less money (actually much less) on this rather than the $130 Apple battery. Any suggestions?
syst.m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 01:14 PM   #2
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Have you checked out ebay for batteries?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 02:03 PM   #3
syst.m
macrumors newbie

Yeah, was kind worried about getting a used one, you really have no idea what your getting.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:32 PM   #4
PMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by syst.m View Post
Yeah, was kind worried about getting a used one, you really have no idea what your getting.
If you request, and it is a good seller, they should provide the number of cycles, and percent life left, if they do not, move onto another seller
PMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:43 PM   #5
syst.m
macrumors newbie

What is good as far as cycles & % of life left? Maybe tell me good, bad & decent.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:44 PM   #6
syst.m
macrumors newbie

I'm not very familiar with laptops, always had a desktop. Its for my girlfriends laptop.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:52 PM   #7
PMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What is good as far as cycles & % of life left? Maybe tell me good, bad & decent.
Ideally you would want to shoot for the fewest cycles, and the highest percentage of life left.

To be honest, you would be better off biting the bullet, and buying a new battery, unless you plan to replace the computer soon, you can also check 3rd party battery manufacturers, they may have something
PMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:55 PM   #8
syst.m
macrumors newbie

That's more what I was wondering, has anyone tried and had a really good experience with a 3rd party battery manufacturer?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:02 PM   #9
FightTheFuture
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to FightTheFuture
Quote:
That's more what I was wondering, has anyone tried and had a really good experience with a 3rd party battery manufacturer?
yeah, my 12" PowerBook is sporting a battery from fastmac. the prices start at $99 and it's been 3 years and i'm still getting close to 3.5 hours (5 hours with everything off and dimmed). their batteries supposedly have more life than apple's stock. only cosmetic problem i have is that the color doesn't exactly match the aluminum casing. i also bought an off brand ac adapter there, cheap and great for leaving at the parents house.

the only problem is that the site feels a bit flakey. i placed an order for a MBP battery and after 4 days, it still reads as 'processing.' i've written their customer service and i'm still waiting for a reply.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs