Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbowjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
I recently purchased a new 3.0 dual core 27" iMac from best buy, disregarding all the "known" issues. (hard drive noise, and tinted screens) I took it out of the box and hooked it up...PERFECT condition. No issues at all.....at least for 3 weeks anyways. Last week I logged on to this website and automatically saw the dreadful yellow tint at the bottom of my screen. It was all the way across and about 2 inches high. I instantly called apple.

Apple informed me it was NOT a known problem and that I could take it to a "local" Apple approved repair station. (I live in Arkansas and we have not one Apple store in our wonderful state) They said I would be without my computer for up to 3 weeks! This was not an option for me so I declined and got off the phone a little upset!

Then Apple called me yesterday...and TOTALLY REDEEMED THEIR SELVES! A Mac engineer by the name of Tye called me and told me that the yellow tinge was a definite issue that they knew about and were researching it thoroughly.

He then informed me that they were going to send me a brand new replacement iMac free of charge...AND they are going to UPGRADE me to the i5 at no additional cost to me!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! I was wanting the i5 but couldn't see putting forth the extra cash at the time of purchase.

He took all my info and set everything up for me. I directed him to the gray bar test on this site which he said was a big help. Due to shipping delays on the i5's i will be without a computer for up to 2 weeks, but i think I can make due considering the conditions! BEST customer support help I have EVER received!

The Mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
Did you just realize your computer had it after testing it 3 weeks later?? Or did it just turn yellow after 3 weeks?

cbowjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
when i got it I tested it with the gray box site and it was fine. It developed over the 3 weeks.

dougb256

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
AUGH!!! Mine has developed slight yellow tinting over the past month. Now I'm going to have to call Apple :( However, if they upgrade my C2D to an I5, well :D I have to make a Genius appt for the gurgling HDD anyway so I'll kill two birds with one stone.

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2007
Good luck on your i5. I just got my replacement yesterday - and I've got a ticking HDD and yellow tint. I hope it works out for you - it's sad that we're at a point where getting a good machine is like guessing the pick 3 correctly.

neonkru

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2009
i got my imac 27 core2duo 1 week ago and it was perfect. after 3 days the yellow tinge developed. stoill not changing it right now. i will wait some time since its not that bad and im sure they will replace it later

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I recently purchased a new 3.0 dual core 27" iMac from best buy, disregarding all the "known" issues. (hard drive noise, and tinted screens) I took it out of the box and hooked it up...PERFECT condition. No issues at all.....at least for 3 weeks anyways. Last week I logged on to this website and automatically saw the dreadful yellow tint at the bottom of my screen. It was all the way across and about 2 inches high. I instantly called apple.

Apple informed me it was NOT a known problem and that I could take it to a "local" Apple approved repair station. (I live in Arkansas and we have not one Apple store in our wonderful state) They said I would be without my computer for up to 3 weeks! This was not an option for me so I declined and got off the phone a little upset!

Then Apple called me yesterday...and TOTALLY REDEEMED THEIR SELVES! A Mac engineer by the name of Tye called me and told me that the yellow tinge was a definite issue that they knew about and were researching it thoroughly.

He then informed me that they were going to send me a brand new replacement iMac free of charge...AND they are going to UPGRADE me to the i5 at no additional cost to me!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! I was wanting the i5 but couldn't see putting forth the extra cash at the time of purchase.

He took all my info and set everything up for me. I directed him to the gray bar test on this site which he said was a big help. Due to shipping delays on the i5's i will be without a computer for up to 2 weeks, but i think I can make due considering the conditions! BEST customer support help I have EVER received!
I don't doubt your story, but somehow I think Apple was being a little disingenuous. I doubt that they have their engineers call customers directly and act as customer service reps - taking customer information, setting up replacement orders, and so on. If their engineers are so burdened, then it's no wonder these computers are having the issues they are.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
i got my imac 27 core2duo 1 week ago and it was perfect. after 3 days the yellow tinge developed. stoill not changing it right now. i will wait some time since its not that bad and im sure they will replace it later
If you're outside of the return window, they most certainly will NOT replace it -- they'll repair it.

cbowjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
I don't doubt your story, but somehow I think Apple was being a little disingenuous. I doubt that they have their engineers call customers directly and act as customer service reps - taking customer information, setting up replacement orders, and so on. If their engineers are so burdened, then it's no wonder these computers are having the issues they are.

Thats how he titled himself...who knows what he does, but I don't care as long as I get my replacement!

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
If you're outside of the return window, they most certainly will NOT replace it -- they'll repair it.

Not so. My i5 was five days over the return period and I got a full refund from the local Apple Store, after which I ordered an i7 online. They didn't even inspect the machine I was returning AND subsequently gave me $100 off the one I ordered online to make up for the inconvenience and cost of taxis to return the i5. Also, after calling back and complaining the delivery was due on the 28th rather than before Christmas (I was originally told it would be before Christmas), they upgraded it to two day delivery rather than standard, at no extra cost.
If you don't get such service, maybe you don't approach people correctly... which your posts suggest might be the case.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
If you don't get such service, maybe you don't approach people correctly... which your posts suggest might be the case.
Without completely veering off-topic, tell me what, exactly, from my two posts in this thread gives you that impression? Is it because I've indicated that Apple's likely stretching the truth by implying that their engineers are calling customers directly? As I said before, I don't doubt that whoever called cbowjones identified themselves as an engineer. I'd imagine (and would wager that Apple would agree) that a highly-paid engineer's time is better spent engineering, not telemarketing.

I really hope you're above poking me in the eye simply because I blasphemed your dear Apple. :rolleyes:

Again, Apple's return policy is 14 days. Maybe you were fortunate enough to have Apple cut you some slack, but I'm sure that's the exception, not the rule, and to suggest otherwise is foolish. I've been on the other side of customer service, and I know acting like an a$$ gets you nowhere with the CSRs. However, it's been like pulling teeth to finally get Apple to agree to advance-ship me a replacement for my second faulty iMac i7. Maybe I'd have had better luck had I gone to an Apple store...but I've read horror stories about how folks with the yellow-tinge problem have been treated when they've done exactly that.

Bottom line is that I'm a realist. If you expect Apple to do you any favors simply because they're Apple, you're kidding yourself. You might get lucky, but their generosity and flexibility can only be hoped for, not counted on.

DRATM

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2009
Bottom line is that I'm a realist. If you expect Apple to do you any favors simply because they're Apple, you're kidding yourself. You might get lucky, but their generosity and flexibility can only be hoped for, not counted on.

You appear to be blending "realism" and "cynicism" quite readily. And responding with aggression certainly isn't helping your case. Not that one can truly blame you for it after your less than ideal iMac experience. However, taking it upon oneself to attempt to twist Apple's arm into bending policy to your own benefit requires a great deal of positive realism, and most of all, patience.

More often than not, persistence with Apple pays off. Several times, I've not even had to raise my voice with a senior CSR to work out an issue--I've only had to talk their ears off until they become so impatient and quietly enraged that I am keeping them from their real work with stories about past experiences with Apple products, they'll do anything to have me off the line. It's quite effective.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
You appear to be blending "realism" and "cynicism" quite readily. And responding with aggression certainly isn't helping your case. Not that one can truly blame you for it after your less than ideal iMac experience. However, taking it upon oneself to attempt to twist Apple's arm into bending policy to your own benefit requires a great deal of positive realism, and most of all, patience.

More often than not, persistence with Apple pays off. Several times, I've not even had to raise my voice with a senior CSR to work out an issue--I've only had to talk their ears off until they become so impatient and quietly enraged that I am keeping them from their real work with stories about past experiences with Apple products, they'll do anything to have me off the line. It's quite effective.
Cynicism, for sure. Aggression? No way -- I guess my posts are coming off different than I intended. FWIW, I've learned never to raise my voice with CSRs -- that'll get you nowhere. It took some pleading and begging (but no voice-raising) to get them to authorize an advance exchange, but in the end firm (but polite) insistence paid off. Hopefully my next replacement iMac will be all it should be.

stever500

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD.
That is a really cool story. I hope I get the yellow tinge and get upgraded to an I5 too:)

So far, no yellow tinge. Drats. I guess I'm stuck with my 27", perfect duo core, then.:p

cbowjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
That is a really cool story. I hope I get the yellow tinge and get upgraded to an I5 too:)

So far, no yellow tinge. Drats. I guess I'm stuck with my 27", perfect duo core, then.:p

At this point, if you have a good one...I think I would definitely be happy!

BubaDragon

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009

Actually he was probably either a field engineer or (a technical) someone from a group of senior customer facing people. When new product lines ship it is a common practice to dedicates a task force of technical and customer relations people to watch for problems (known as field failures in "the biz") grab a sample of items that seem to exhibit the behaviors and then resolve the issue. This is a fairly common practice among the manufacturers of durable goods. It is comforting to see Apple taking the best practices from the industry and implementing them...

Also I would be surprised if Apple Engineers are not frequent lurkers and infrequent posters to these forums...
<< Waves to the Apple person reading this post >>

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Actually he was probably either a field engineer or (a technical) someone from a group of senior customer facing people. When new product lines ship it is a common practice to dedicates a task force of technical and customer relations people to watch for problems (known as field failures in "the biz") grab a sample of items that seem to exhibit the behaviors and then resolve the issue. This is a fairly common practice among the manufacturers of durable goods. It is comforting to see Apple taking the best practices from the industry and implementing them...

Also I would be surprised if Apple Engineers are not frequent lurkers and infrequent posters to these forums...
<< Waves to the Apple person reading this post >>

Fair enough. It's just that there are so many reports of conflicting information being passed on my the Apple support reps that it's hard to know what to believe.

88keydave

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
I don't want color issues on my sweet i7 27"

I have had my i7 27" for about a month now...and the display is starting to look a little yellow around the bottom. It is not serious yet, but it is noticeable now that i am aware of the issue. I certainly don't want a degrading screen for $2600 if you know what I mean :( I love this Mac, just want it to be right cause photography is my main use of the Mac. Guess I will call tomorrow and let them know. Thanks for educating me on this issue!

mikaronni

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
I ordered a week 46 21.5" iMac and finally got to start using it as of Friday. Initially, the screen was nearly perfect with only the slightest yellow hint on the bottom. However, over the past few days, the issue has drastically increased in severity. I tried calling support, but it's not business hours.

Has anyone else gotten acknowledgement from customer service that it is an issue and has been granted a repair or replacement?

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I ordered a week 46 21.5" iMac and finally got to start using it as of Friday. Initially, the screen was nearly perfect with only the slightest yellow hint on the bottom. However, over the past few days, the issue has drastically increased in severity. I tried calling support, but it's not business hours.

Has anyone else gotten acknowledgement from customer service that it is an issue and has been granted a repair or replacement?

You should read this thread.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I'd imagine Apple is watching this forum. I actually went to the Apple store twice in the past couple of weeks. The first time I was talking to the sales rep about buying a new MBP but didn't want to get into the situation where I was last time when I bought one of the very last PowerBook G4 just weeks before the new machine came out. He said, "according to Macrumors there may be a new processor out in January". :D I already knew this at that point and I was in there to check out the new iMac's and had already decided to hold off my MBP purchase for a couple months to see what ends up happening.

The next time I was talking to a chick about a iPod Touch and she too casually brought up Macrumors in the conversation.... though the context of her bringing it up escapes me... but she did bring it up. :)

...so yeah, I'm sure there's all sorts of Apple employees at both their retain stores and corporate offices watching and/or participating in this site. :)

Mike

mikaronni

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks for the reference knewsom. After a while, I finally found some information. I'm really loving this machine and I need a desktop so I guess I will just try to get a replacement instead of just returning it.

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
hmm... maybe that means i should buy the i5 now, since they obviously have issues, then call and complain about it being broken so they can upgrade me to the i7. Sounds like a plan! :D

cbowjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Alright guys.....sorry for the delay. I had to wait until after the new year to due without a computer for a while. I sent my old computer back on wednesday of last week. They shipped mine out to me on thursday from hong kong...and it arrived this morning at 10:45! It is the upgraded i5 at no additional cost with ZERO problems so far. I went through the extensive check list and it seems to be flawless. Im very happy with Apple and am hoping the yellow tinge will stay away. I will keep you all informed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.