Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:39 PM   #1
neowillendit
macrumors member

MacBook Pro NVIDIA Chipset?

I believe this question belongs under "Windows on the Mac" instead of "Hardware" because my fellow Windows friends will be more knowledgable for this. Question is, I'm trying to update my nForce Chipset drivers from NVIDIA's page...what nForce Chipset does my MacBook Pro v.5.3 (June 2009) have?

Thank you all in advance
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:48 PM   #2
ayeying
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ayeying
Quote:
Originally Posted by neowillendit View Post
I believe this question belongs under "Windows on the Mac" instead of "Hardware" because my fellow Windows friends will be more knowledgable for this. Question is, I'm trying to update my nForce Chipset drivers from NVIDIA's page...what nForce Chipset does my MacBook Pro v.5.3 (June 2009) have?

Thank you all in advance
Don't need to? nVidia doesn't have the correct nForce drivers anyways, and the last time I tried, I screwed up the SATA drivers.
iPad Mini | White, 32GB, iOS 8.1
ayeying is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:02 AM   #3
neowillendit
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeying View Post
Don't need to? nVidia doesn't have the correct nForce drivers anyways, and the last time I tried, I screwed up the SATA drivers.
I don't understand, does NVIDIA provide Apple with a custom chipset? Why else wouldn't NVIDIA have the drivers to install to my Windows 7 64-Bit?

What Windows OS did you last attempt to install chipset drivers to?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:05 AM   #4
ayeying
macrumors 601

Quote:
I don't understand, does NVIDIA provide Apple with a custom chipset? Why else wouldn't NVIDIA have the drivers to install to my Windows 7 64-Bit?

What Windows OS did you last attempt to install chipset drivers to?
Windows Vista and Windows 7. Both 32 and 64 bit editions.

It's not so much of a "custom" chipset, it's a mobile chipset vs the desktop. There's differences there. Even Intel made boards recommend looking to the OEM for drivers rather than using their site.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:10 AM   #5
neowillendit
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeying View Post
Windows Vista and Windows 7. Both 32 and 64 bit editions.

It's not so much of a "custom" chipset, it's a mobile chipset vs the desktop. There's differences there. Even Intel made boards recommend looking to the OEM for drivers rather than using their site.
Ohhhhh, so there's no mobile chipset drivers available from NVIDIA? The drivers here are only for desktop chipsets?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Nano2k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ohhhhh, so there's no mobile chipset drivers available from NVIDIA? The drivers here are only for desktop chipsets?
I guess there would be a way to make them work (modded .inf files etc) but I really don't see a reason. It's not like your comp is going to be faster by doing this and has someone else posted before you will probably end up screwing up something in the process.
Nano2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:07 PM   #7
neowillendit
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano2k View Post
I guess there would be a way to make them work (modded .inf files etc) but I really don't see a reason. It's not like your comp is going to be faster by doing this and has someone else posted before you will probably end up screwing up something in the process.
Obviously, since you posted on a thread that was about ninjapenguin and myself having problems with our hard drives, I'd like to make sure I have the best chipset drivers for things like my USB Controller and DMA Controller...obviously if there are better options, then I may not continue to have problems...same for ninjapenguin.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:02 PM   #8
ayeying
macrumors 601

Honestly, there's no such thing as "best" drivers. There's only "stable" drivers, ones which programmers coded somehow, properly and less likely to crash and stall. But all drivers, will crash and stall depending on the variables.

However, if you were to install modded drivers, you take stability on a rocky road. There's chances that drivers would either: not work, or be unstable.

The drivers provided by Apple would be the best for your system so far. I understand Apple's going to release updated drivers, support for Windows 7. It's best to wait until then.

For your video card, you can update to 195.65(?) drivers located at nvidia.com.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:17 AM   #9
neowillendit
macrumors member

Well I downloaded the nForce Package v.15.51 available here: and the Ethernet Card and SMU Controller had updated drivers available...everything else is up to date from Boot Camp v.3.0 from Snow Leopard Disc.

I also installed the NVIDIA Video drivers v.195.62 official installer for notebooks and grabbed an Modded INF from LaptopVideo2Go and these drivers fix a LOT of Windows 7 visual quirks although I'm seeing decreased gaming performance (maybe 1 less FPS in Grand Theft Auto IV)...no big deal considering the headway NVIDIA made here in stability and fixes.

Last edited by neowillendit; Dec 14, 2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Grammer
neowillendit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac