Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSwitchd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I recently reformatted my PC and upgraded to Windows 7, and of course, my iPhone is synced to the computer when it had Vista.

I don't mind losing my songs or Apps, I just want to be sure I don't lose my contacts.

I'm afraid that if I sync it to my "new library" (eventho it's technically the same computer) that it'll totally reformat and erase everything on my phone.

I've poked around the forum quite a bit, and can't seem to find a direct answer to my question. Any help will be appreciated.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I have my contacts backed up to Funambol. It's free.

Edit: Just found out that Funambol is only a 90 day trial for new users. They don't make you pay, but you have to contribute to the knowledge base to use the app.

biggrim

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
If you open iTunes you can disable automatic syncing. You can then plug in your iPhone and then on the info tab make sure that contacts isn't checked yet and that the box for overwriting contacts on the phone is the same. You can then sync everything else over first safely (I hope).

After that's all set up you can set it so that the phone updates the contact list on the computer and not the other way around.

Not sure if that makes any sense and hopefully someone else might be able to clarify what i mean.

Cheers,

Grim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.