Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I remember reading a littlebit ago about a company that makes PowerBook docking stations.

question is, who were they, and will they work on the latest Powerbook G4 1.33-1.5ghz 15in or 17in?

im going to be getting one soon (for college), and when I get home, I want to slide the powerbook into the docking station, and use an external keyboard, mouse, power cable and possibly a monitor, without having to connect and disconnect every piece individually.

also, i will be doing HEAVY video editing on this sucker, so I will need access to Firewire and USB ports, so will there be an 'extension' like cable for the docking stations firewire port, because I probably wont have the cable plugged in all the time (might need to take it with me).

also, one last question, if I didnt want to use an external monitor, will I still be able to use the Powerbook's screen while plugged into the docking station?

well, thats my question(s), hope someone can help me out! :)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
lol, the new 15" dock seems ridiculous. That aside I have one for my TiBook. Now the design may be different but the function s the same - and I have been extremely happy with my bookendz. What it basically does is just copies the ports on the PB so you can disconnect a lot of ports at once or plug them all in at the same time. And yes, you should be able to use the screen while plugged into the dock. Older ones for the G3 iBooks (I think) had a glitch where the book would see a "ghost" monitor when one wasn't connected. Though I'm sure all the Powerbook docks are fine. What's really nifty is that there's a builtin DVI>VGA connector and a builtin S-Video to Composite connector. Don't worry, it still has the DVI and S-Video ports too. It's a nice thought as I don't wish to leave my adapters connected to the dock.

There is no "Extension" cable built in. You will have to unplug anything you take with you, but that should be easy as it's just a port replicator. Personally I bought 2 USB four port hubs and now I have 8 USB ports all accessible from the front of my Mac.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I've never understood the purpose of these things really. Do they give you more ports than your computer naturally comes with? Because, if not, why would you get something that pretty much just uses desk space?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
comictimes said:
I've never understood the purpose of these things really. Do they give you more ports than your computer naturally comes with? Because, if not, why would you get something that pretty much just uses desk space?

it is easier and saves time, especially if you move from home to work etc and have external monitor,keyboard, and mouse at each location. So all you have to is walk-in and click and turn on your PB. Everything else is already plugged in. this also keeps the wires from looking messy on your desk while you PB is away.

rwmoore

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2001
17 in powerbook dock

anyone know of a dock for a 17 in powerbook, since photo-control bailed on their 17 in bookendz? Is there even another supplier for powerbook docking stations? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.