Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15846&stc=1

i'm not stupid or anything, but i hope this graphic shows, or my question will seem aimless. i am getting really tired of these spams that show up in my inbox from "mail subsystem delivery" or some such. that is my valid email address, but i did not send it (of course), and i am getting tired of having to delete them. more to the point, i am concerned that i did sometning i should not have that allowed some malware to be installed within my mail app. what happened here, and how can i undo the damage?
thanks for any help in this matter. :confused:

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 161

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Your mail address has been spoofed, and the mail is coming from outside your system. That's why it's marked as an "unknown or illegal alias".

Pehaps you could open one and post the entire header, 'x'-ing out the details of your email adress, or altering it to something else, so we can see who actually sent it - maybe.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
By the way, a spoofed e-mail address isn't accomplished because of something you've done - it occurs as a result of an SMTP mail server and it's inherent lack of user authentication.

Generally, this is an annoyance and not a danger to your personal information (of course, you should never send sensitive information, such as credit card numbers, passwords, etc.) via e-mail. Tracking down the culprit is generally impossible, or so nearly impossible as to make it a worthless effort.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Take solice in knowing that this is happening to most other people as well... I don't think I know anyone that's escaped this particular annoyance. Eventually your junk mail filter will pick them out, of course it may just start junking *all* bounced email, even legit... Thank god for spammers :rolleyes:

paul

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Everyone who owns a domain faces an even more difficult issue. Any undeliverable spam sent with a forged address with the domain in the reply-to field bounces back to the administrator for the domain. Occasionally spammers also brute-force mail to every conceivable permutation of mailbox name within a domain. That technique is really stupid, but then spammers aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree. Either way, it got so intollerable, eventually I had to instruct my ISP to bounce all mail not directed to a legitimate mailbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.