Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:48 AM   #1
agaskew
macrumors regular

Air + external monitor/kb/mouse

Hi,
My Rev C Air gets used for home working quite a lot these days. There don't seem to me many options for a docking station arrangement for the Air unfortunately.

I already have Bluetooth mouse for my Air. I am considering getting Apple's Bluetooth keyboard, plus a cable to connect up to my DVI monitor (1680x1050).

i am hoping that when in the home office, I can use the Air when its closed, hooked up to the monitor and speakers, plus BT keyboard/mouse. WiFi will be OK for a network connection, and I also hope to have a USB superdrive in the mix.

Anything to be wary of in doing this? I recall reading that the Air can get hot/noisy when driving an external monitor, presumably because the graphics chip is working harder? I'd also like some sort of funky stand for the Air while its all plugged in - any ideas?

Thanks!
agaskew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:45 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Keep in mind that people run MacBooks (white plastic ones) with the integrated graphics all of the time. Of course, if a MB is at all piss poor on airflow then the MBAir is even worse. That is not to say you cannot do it, but I would highly suggest for serious tasks that you open your lid slightly and mirror your display. I ran a PowerBook on a 30" screen and when I did anything that required a lot of CPU power (encoding a movie, running a Photoshop script on hundreds of images) I would do just that. Maybe it was unnecessary, but to me it dropped the temp down a good 5 F at least.

Everything else you mentioned is fine. Also, note there are limited to no real "docking" solutions for an Apple notebook. There's one that is probably way overpriced because they have the corner market on that crap, but frankly I believe Apple did this intentionally as they believe if you want a notebook and a desktop you should just buy both.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:31 AM   #3
jimboutilier
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jimboutilier
I have two "desktop" solutions for my MBA. Both feature a stand for the air (one Targus and one Kensington), and a Mini Display port to DVI adapter to a 24" monitor.

At home I have a powered 7 port USB hub that I connect to the Air with keyboard, mouse, scanner, printer, ethernet etc, and at work I use wireless keyboard and mouse but do have a 4 port hub for ethernet and occasionally an external drive.

At home I tend to leave the Air closed and it runs fine on its raised stand and does not seem to overheat. At work I usually leave the Air open so I have the use of both displays.

Either way seems to work well for me. If I had to guess, I'd say the Air runs a bit cooler closed, but thats just a subjective observations. As the Air with or without an external display gets warm at times and drives the fan to 6200rpm, at least my RevC unit seems to have a nice quiet fan (much softer than my RevA MBA).
jimboutilier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:52 AM   #4
agaskew
macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies

Can't stretch to the Mac Pro just yet, lol. I may go for a laptop stand with fans built in, as long as they are quiet.
agaskew is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air