Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haruhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to fomat it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

I don't have anything to backup to, so what can I do? :eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nothing, you really need to backup ... that's just how it is.

I am of the school of thought that you should always have a spare drive laying around for such events.

Platonist

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
I had this same thing happen to me recently. I deleted a few GBs of data (things that I clearly didn't need anymore) and things went fine afterward. It could be that there is insufficient free space available to move things around so that Bootcamp assistant can create the new partition without wiping the drive clean.

Tachion

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
I had this same thing happen to me recently. I deleted a few GBs of data (things that I clearly didn't need anymore) and things went fine afterward. It could be that there is insufficient free space available to move things around so that Bootcamp assistant can create the new partition without wiping the drive clean.

This. I've had this happen, and it usually means there's not enough free space to rearrange large file chunks for partitioning. Either free up some space, or make the Boot Camp partition smaller.

You do -not- need to reformat and restore your data. Well, maybe you do if there's some sort of disk error, but to do that now would be ridiculous and likely not even solve your problem.

wiivault

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
Use a tool like iDefrag to defragment the drive. Worked for me after trying everything else. Virtual machine files are a known culprit. Best of luck.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I *JUST* finished reinstalling Snow Leopard on my freshly-zeroed 500GB drive, and I get this error. I have 285GB free. How can this not be possible? I reformatted thinking I would fix this error.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
I *JUST* finished reinstalling Snow Leopard on my freshly-zeroed 500GB drive, and I get this error. I have 285GB free. How can this not be possible? I reformatted thinking I would fix this error.

It has nothing to really do about bootcamp not being able to move files. Boot camp doesn't move anything. All it basically tells the disk is "allocate this continuous space as a separate partition." The keyword being allocate.

Basically, there is data in that area, possibly system files. Basically, you want to allocate more space than there is continuous free space. Instead of going ahead and partitioning the area anyway, which would result in losing that data, it's throwing up the error.

Basically, you can try your hand at defragging the data. If you just installed SL, then I wouldn't be surprised if there were some system files in the space.

Jisuo

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Sweden
So I downloaded Drive Genious 2 to defrag and then it says you can't defrag because the program is running from the same volume. :rolleyes: Jesus, how many macs are there with more than one volumes? Great thinking.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
So I downloaded Drive Genious 2 to defrag and then it says you can't defrag because the program is running from the same volume. :rolleyes: Jesus, how many macs are there with more than one volumes? Great thinking.

IIRC, you can run Drive Genius 2 from it's disk. I used to have it on an iBook G4 and you just booted the drive genius 2 disk and could work on the Mac boot disk. You did get a legal copy of Drive Genius, right? Not an illegal torrent?

Jisuo

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Sweden
IIRC, you can run Drive Genius 2 from it's disk. I used to have it on an iBook G4 and you just booted the drive genius 2 disk and could work on the Mac boot disk. You did get a legal copy of Drive Genius, right? Not an illegal torrent?

It was the demo version.

I didn't need it in the end, I just made the partition smaller and it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.