Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Tesco Launches iPhone in UK Today



UK supermarket and retail chain Tesco, which announced late last month that it would begin offering the iPhone through its existing cooperative venture with existing iPhone carrier O2. Today marked the first day of sale for the iPhone via Tesco, offering pricing plans beginning as low as £20 per month, albeit with hefty handset prices at that level.




Tesco's £20 plan includes £60 of calls and texts at the current 20p/minute and 10p/text rates (with half-price charges to 5 favorite numbers) and requires only a 12-month contract. At the higher £60 plan that requires a 2-year commitment, customers can receive a free 8 GB iPhone 3G or 16 GB iPhone 3GS, or a 32 GB iPhone 3GS for only £50. Pay as you go options are also available.

Article Link: Tesco Launches iPhone in UK Today
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:38 PM   #2
fabian9
macrumors 65816
 
fabian9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post


UK supermarket and retail chain Tesco, which announced late last month that it would begin offering the iPhone through its existing cooperative venture with existing iPhone carrier O2. Today marked the first day of sale for the iPhone via Tesco, offering pricing plans beginning as low as £20 per month, albeit with hefty handset prices at that level.




Tesco's £20 plan includes £60 of calls and texts at the current 20p/minute and 10p/text rates (with half-price charges to 5 favorite numbers) and requires only a 12-month contract. At the higher £60 plan that requires a 2-year commitment, customers can receive a free 8 GB iPhone 3G or 16 GB iPhone 3GS, or a 32 GB iPhone 3GS for only £50. Pay as you go options are also available.

Article Link: Tesco Launches iPhone in UK Today
Wow no included minutes and texts?

The overall money spent at the end of the contract is much lower than on O2, but can quickly ramp up if one isn't careful about how many minutes and texts are used...

EDIT: Just noticed the £60 calls and texts. So that's 300 minutes or 600 texts or a mixture thereof. I guess that's alright...
fabian9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:43 PM   #3
iZac
macrumors 65816
 
iZac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Shanghai
High phone prices, but i guess its a good deal to low use customers. The £20 a month gives you what ... 300 minutes OR 600 text so ... 150 minutes / 300 text split? I guess it wouldn't suit most people looking to buy a phone that basically encourages high use and not many people are going to swallow a £60 monthly fee either.

Still its a good thing in that its a fresh approach, instead of Orange just trying to ape O2s price points.

Im not going to bother to do the lifetime price comparisons, but at least everybody loves 12 month contracts!
__________________
Robert Goulden
http://www.robgoulden.com
iZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:44 PM   #4
BoyBach
macrumors 68040
 
BoyBach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
I'm hoping that Tesco's decision to offer a twelve month contract persuades Vodafone to do the same whenever it is that they begin selling the iPhone in 2010.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iZac View Post
High phone prices...
Think of the (double) Clubcard points, though!
__________________
"I'm sensing a change in management style here, from touchy-feely to smashy-testes."
BoyBach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:13 PM   #5
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
O2 Simplicity is a far better tariff IMHO
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini
daneoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Jasonhenley
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
O2 Simplicity is a far better tariff IMHO
It is, but the trouble with the Simplicity is that it does not offer Visual Voice Mail, and you can only choose one bolt on.

So you would have to give up either the unlimited Web or Wi-Fi.

The people that upgraded / purchased their 3G iPhone on an 18 month contract are now up for renewal, has anyone tried to speak to O2, to say you are leaving for Orange / Tesco? Did you get any better deals?
Jasonhenley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Diode
macrumors 68020
 
Diode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Send a message via AIM to Diode
~97 US /month for unlimited calls, text and data doesn't seem like that bad of a deal when you throw in the free 16GB 3GS
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:56 PM   #8
alexk82
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Coast
wow 538 pounds for a 32 gb

wow 538 pounds for a 32 gb now thats expensive
alexk82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:12 PM   #9
torbjoern
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Black Lodge
They sell iPhones at Tesco? And I who thought of buying a 3GS soon. Well, this just means that a new iPhone is around the corner. Hopefully, it will be compatible with the new high-speed data-traffic standard, also known as the 4G (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G).
torbjoern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:34 PM   #10
m4rc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhenley View Post
It is, but the trouble with the Simplicity is that it does not offer Visual Voice Mail, and you can only choose one bolt on.

So you would have to give up either the unlimited Web or Wi-Fi.

The people that upgraded / purchased their 3G iPhone on an 18 month contract are now up for renewal, has anyone tried to speak to O2, to say you are leaving for Orange / Tesco? Did you get any better deals?


You can have as many bolt ons as you like as long as you pay for them. On the cheapest tariff you don't get one included, but with the others you do, and you can change it to any other bolt on and add any others you fancy. I have unlimited landline calls and unlimited web, I don't see the point in the wifi, I have used it in the past but never found it much faster than 3G to be honest. Most of my calls are to landlines, and for £26 a month I can make all the landline calls I like, 600 mins to mobiles and I have 1200 texts and free internet.
m4rc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:54 PM   #11
adder7712
macrumors 68000
 
adder7712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere
Why they limit WiFi? It's supposed to be free (my country's iPhone carrier at least).
__________________
Custom PC (Windows 8.1), MacBook Aluminium (OS X Mavericks), iPad 3, Sony Xperia Z3, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4
adder7712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:55 PM   #12
Mac-Addict
macrumors 65816
 
Mac-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbjoern View Post
They sell iPhones at Tesco? And I who thought of buying a 3GS soon. Well, this just means that a new iPhone is around the corner. Hopefully, it will be compatible with the new high-speed data-traffic standard, also known as the 4G (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G).
Lol LTE will be rolling out hmm let me think 2015?
Mac-Addict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:58 PM   #13
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhenley View Post
It is, but the trouble with the Simplicity is that it does not offer Visual Voice Mail, and you can only choose one bolt on.

So you would have to give up either the unlimited Web or Wi-Fi.

The people that upgraded / purchased their 3G iPhone on an 18 month contract are now up for renewal, has anyone tried to speak to O2, to say you are leaving for Orange / Tesco? Did you get any better deals?
The new iPhone specific Simplicity Tariff affords you Visual Voicemail & Wi-Fi in addition and its only a 30-day contract
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini
daneoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:22 PM   #14
mockbrown
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Addict View Post
Lol LTE will be rolling out hmm let me think 2015?
The world's first(?) 4G network is commercially available as of today, in Stockholm...

http://www.telia4g.se/
mockbrown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:28 PM   #15
Bennieboyİ
macrumors 65816
 
Bennieboyİ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: england
Send a message via MSN to Bennieboyİ
Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
Why they limit WiFi? It's supposed to be free (my country's iPhone carrier at least).
this is england, we get screwed for everything
__________________
Macrumors IRC: irc.krono.net room #macrumors download Colloquy or Adium
Search before you post: MRoogle
Bennieboyİ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:36 PM   #16
instaxgirl
macrumors 65816
 
instaxgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbjoern View Post
They sell iPhones at Tesco? And I who thought of buying a 3GS soon. Well, this just means that a new iPhone is around the corner. Hopefully, it will be compatible with the new high-speed data-traffic standard, also known as the 4G (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G).
Ignoring the 4G thing there won't be a new iPhone until June at the very earliest. They're on a yearly release schedule, and are updated every Summer.
__________________
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clark
instaxgirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:09 PM   #17
torbjoern
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Black Lodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Addict View Post
Lol LTE will be rolling out hmm let me think 2015?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockbrown View Post
The world's first(?) 4G network is commercially available as of today, in Stockholm...

http://www.telia4g.se/
In Oslo as well: http://www.netcom.no
torbjoern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:30 PM   #18
torbjoern
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Black Lodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by instaxgirl View Post
Ignoring the 4G thing there won't be a new iPhone until June at the very earliest. They're on a yearly release schedule, and are updated every Summer.
The last 2 iPhones were released in Summer, that's correct - July 2008 and June 2009. We can't, however, make deductions about the dates of forthcoming releases on this basis. After all, the first 2 iPhones were released in Sept 2007 and Feb 2008.

Apple does obviously have release schedules - for iPhones as well as Xserves - but these schedules are known by Apple only.

Last edited by torbjoern; Dec 14, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
torbjoern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:54 PM   #19
noshjewman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
Why they limit WiFi? It's supposed to be free (my country's iPhone carrier at least).
They don't limit your access to WIFI on, for example, your home network. But there are a bunch of O2 Wifi zones around the country, and some Orange ones, and you have access to this WIFI (plus BT Openzone) within your usage limits.
noshjewman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:09 PM   #20
ggt
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Driffield aka Dullfield, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
The new iPhone specific Simplicity Tariff affords you Visual Voicemail & Wi-Fi in addition and its only a 30-day contract
Have you got a link to the iPhone Simplicity Tariff? I can't see it on the o2 website, it sounds really good.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro, TV 3, original iPhone, iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPod Nano, Airport Express, Time Capsule
ACSP 10.5 www.hub-bub.co.uk
ggt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:01 PM   #21
jayducharme
macrumors 68020
 
jayducharme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
~97 US /month for unlimited calls, text and data doesn't seem like that bad of a deal when you throw in the free 16GB 3GS
That was my thought, too. Compared to AT&T, it's a bargain -- if their plan truly is "unlimited."
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:45 PM   #22
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggt View Post
Have you got a link to the iPhone Simplicity Tariff? I can't see it on the o2 website, it sounds really good.
Its not on the site and is currently only being offered to those coming to the end of their contracts...just to keep them. However you can call customer retentions and ask for it....more often than not you'll get it...regardless of contractual situation
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini
daneoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:34 AM   #23
Nevis8
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
T
Nevis8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:35 AM   #24
Nevis8
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
The new iPhone specific Simplicity Tariff affords you Visual Voicemail & Wi-Fi in addition and its only a 30-day contract
Can you give us some idea of the tariffs for these ?
Nevis8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:45 AM   #25
ggt
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Driffield aka Dullfield, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Its not on the site and is currently only being offered to those coming to the end of their contracts...just to keep them. However you can call customer retentions and ask for it....more often than not you'll get it...regardless of contractual situation
nice one cheers, i'll give them a ring as mine is coming to an end
__________________
15" MacBook Pro, TV 3, original iPhone, iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPod Nano, Airport Express, Time Capsule
ACSP 10.5 www.hub-bub.co.uk
ggt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Japanese Manufacturers Ramp Up Production as iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C Launches Loom MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 24 Sep 7, 2013 02:54 AM
AT&T Launches New No Contract Subsidiary Today mattwallace24 iPhone 13 May 11, 2013 03:03 AM
Algoriddim Launches Vjay for iPhone, Offers Djay for iPhone For Free MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 11 Nov 19, 2012 11:14 AM
Tesco Mobile iPhone 5 Pre Order Process lukefinch iPhone 7 Sep 12, 2012 06:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC